H. P. Newquist takes young readers on an engaging tour of the world of blood, from ancient history to modern science--with an occasional trip to the very strange side of the most important tissue in our bodies. Oddly enough, scientists began to understand this fascinating fluid only within the past one hundred years and how its microscopic components nourish the entire body. Whether the tales of vampires, medieval medical practices, and Mayan sacrificial rites captivate or terrify, this comprehensive investigation into blood's past and present will surely enthrall. And if this account is a little bloodcurdling, well, that's half the fun!
Hey, Boys! Want to have some fun? Maybe learn how to land an airplane in an emergency? Or fight off an alligator? Escape from being tied up? How about taking a ride on one of America's scariest roller coasters? Learn how to make fake blood or turn a real bone into a pretzel. What if you could find out how to identify some of the world's most horrifying creatures? Or learn the secret of making a blockbuster movie? What about guessing the top 11 greatest moments in sports history? Find buried treasure? And once you've found the treasure, find out just how much it would cost you to buy one of the world's most expensive cars. You'll find all this--and much more of the biggest, baddest, and best information on just about everything. Plus we've placed a special, mind-bending, solve-the-code puzzle on random pages throughout the book that will lead you to a really cool solution! Now, that's fun!
From the Publisher With the collapse of the dot-com stocks, investors are anxiously considering what sector will provide the next leap forward with spectacular returns. Lou Dobbs, the best-known personality in America in broadcast financial journalism, co-founder of CNNfn and CNN's Moneyline and current twice-weekly on-air commentator for the Today Show and the Infinity Broadcasting Network on radio believes that the answer comes in five letters: SPACE. In Space: The Next Business Frontier, Dobbs and co-author HP Newquist explore where the money will go, which new technologies will emerge as winners, and which corporations and countries will win or lose. Space: The Next Business Frontier is a crucial examination of an industry which may someday dwarf the internet itself.
Have you been attacked by a great white shark? Gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel? Been exposed to anthrax? No, you haven't, or you'd be dead. This Will Kill You reveals the intriguing facts behind the many ways humans bite the dust in encounters with deadly bugs, hungry predators, natural disasters, and freak occurrences. Thoroughly researched and illustrated, not to mention thoroughly hilarious, this book describes in deathly detail what happens to the body when it's struck by lightning, slimed by a dart frog, or flung from a mountaintop. No other book has ever peaked under the Grim Reaper's robe in such a straightforward and irreverent way. With a foreword by a physician at the Mayo Clinic, an afterword by a funeral director, lists of history's most notable deaths, and a unique death rating system, everything you need to know about the ways in which we go are included in these pages.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.