- Table View
- List View
The wry and rueful Columbo of Austria investigates a grisly murder at a beloved restaurant where snooty Viennese gourmands go to eat ... fried chicken. At a wildly popular chicken shack in the Austrian countryside, a gruesome discovery is made in the pile of chicken bones waiting to be fed into the basement grinder: human bones. But when former-police detective now private eye Simon Brenner shows up to investigate, the woman who hired him has disappeared ...Brenner likes chicken, though, so he stays, but finds no one will talk. And as he waits for the disappeared manager, there's one ghastly find after another.Perhaps the most raucous book in the series, The Bone Man manages to make fun of institutions from high cuisine to soccer while nonetheless building relentless suspense based in all-too-real social issues. Smart, tense, and funny, the book makes clear why Carl Hiaasen called Wolf Haas "the real deal."
Introducing one of Europe's most widely popular detective series Wanting out of high-stress detective work, Simon Brenner takes a calming job as a chauffeur, shuttling a two-year-old girl back and forth in a soothing ride along the Autobahn between her father, a construction tycoon in Munich, and her mother, an abortion doctor in Vienna. Except then one day he stops at a gas station to buy the little girl a chocolate bar and comes back to find she's been kidnapped . . . and suddenly he's out of a job, thoroughly stressed out, and a detective again. With no shortage of leads--both the father's latest development and the mother's clinic are under siege by protestors--Brenner makes his way through a powerful cast of characters and a growing pile of bodies to solve the crime in the only way he knows how: By being in precisely the right place at the worst possible time. Told with sharp-edged wit, suspense that's even sharper, and one of the most quirky, hilarious, and compelling narrative voices ever.From the Trade Paperback edition.
When the corpses of an American couple are found frozen to death on a ski lift in a pristine Alpine village, Brenner is called in to investigate, in his first case as a P.I.When Inspector Simon Brenner leaves the police force, he's looking forward to some peace and quiet, and the lovely Alpine village of Zell seems like just the place. That is, until the corpses of an American couple are found frozen on a ski lift, and Brenner, doing some part time work for an insurance company, is called in to investigate the matter. It turns out that the victims have relatives in the area, and the crime--if it is a crime--seems like it could be a family affair. Except the prime suspect has a solid alibi and no one in picture-perfect Zell is talking.So Brenner, in his inimitable style, draws out all the village's characters--the longtime residents, the resort staff and guests--and uncovers the dirty doings that lurk underneath the pristine snow...and family secrets long buried. This first book sets up the totally unique, quirky narrative voice that runs throughout the series and introduces the reluctant, yet brilliant, Detective Brenner,in a plot with as many twists and turns as a Double Black Diamond.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.