The author of Life's Greatest Lessons presents ten principles of practical wisdom to live by, drawn from readings of both the Old and New Testaments for people of all beliefs. Readers love Hal Urban's books for their common sense, their wisdom, and their inspirational affirmation of timeless values. With The 10 Commandments of Common Sense, he continues to build on his central theme -- that there's a direct relationship between good character and the quality of life. He also shows how the teachings of Scripture and the genuine practice of faith can be integral parts of a fulfilling existence. Urban draws on his own lifelong spiritual search -- which has included Protestant churches, the Catholic church, some Eastern philosophies, and human potential psychology -- to produce an ecumenical and nondogmatic examination of the Scriptures, finding in them clear and simple guidance for increasing both purpose and joy in our lives. Five of his principles are do's, as in "Keep a positive outlook on life" and "Bring out the best in other people." The other five are don't's, as in "Don't be seduced by popular culture" and "Don't judge other people." These ten commandments of timeless wisdom will inspire people of all faiths who are searching for more meaning and direction in their lives, no matter where it comes from.
Hal Urban, author of the much-loved bestsellers Life's Greatest Lessons and Positive Words, Powerful Results, gives us his third book of inspirational and practical wisdom on leading a more meaningful and more joyful life. With Choices That Change Lives, Hal reminds us that our lives are the result of our choices and the most important choices we make become our character traits, the ones that lead to fulfillment and peace of mind. He illuminates fifteen character traits that help us more fully develop our capacity to live rich and rewarding lives. He assures us that it's never too late to change, to break the chains of self-defeating attitudes and habits, and challenges us to dig a little deeper -- to grow in such qualities as humility, patience, empathy, and courage -- and to renew ourselves daily.
Life's Greatest Lessons is a wise, wonderful book. In it, Hal Urban, a parent and an award-winning teacher, presents twenty principles that are as deeply rooted in common sense as they are in compassion. The topics, gathered from a lifetime of teaching both children and adults, span a wide range of readily understood concepts, including attitudes about money, understanding the real meaning of "success," and the importance of having fun. The book will help you find the best -- in the world, in others, and in yourself. Classic in its simplicity and enduring in its appeal, Life's Greatest Lessons helps us all rediscover that the desire to live a good life is timeless.
Although we live in an ocean of words, we rarely acknowledge their power to uplift or put down, to inspire or discourage, to help or hurt. But in this jewel of a book, Hal Urban -- parent, award-winning teacher, and author of the classic Life's Greatest Lessons -- shows us simple and immediate ways that we can use language to change lives -- both our own and those around us.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.