- Table View
- List View
He fought for Washington, served with Lincoln, witnessed Bunker Hill, and sounded the clarion against slavery on the eve of the Civil War. He negotiated an end to the War of 1812, engineered the annexation of Florida, and won the Supreme Court decision that freed the African captives of "The Amistad. " He served his nation as minister to six countries, secretary of state, senator, congressman, and president. John Quincy Adams was all of these things and more. In this masterful biography, award winning author Harlow Giles Unger reveals Quincy Adams as a towering figure in the nationOCOs formative years and one of the most courageous figures in American history, which is why he ranked first in John F. KennedyOCOs Pulitzer Prizeuwinning "Profiles in Courage. " A magisterial biography and a sweeping panorama of American history from the Washington to Lincoln eras, UngerOCOs "John Quincy Adams" follows one of AmericaOCOs most important yet least-known figures.
In addition to serving as 6th president of the US, John Quincy Adams (1767-1848) was also a foreign minister, secretary of state, senator, and congressman during his lengthy career. He also he kept a detailed diary starting at age 10, witnessing historical events from the eve of the Revolutionary War to eve of the Civil War. This readable narrative biography for general readers interweaves many excerpts from Adams's diary as it celebrates Adams's triumphs, such as ending the War of 1812, the founding of the Smithsonian Institute, and his anti-slavery stance in the face of resistance, and investigates his personal life as well. The book contains a chronology and b&w historical illustrations. Author Unger is a historian. Annotation ©2012 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.