- Table View
- List View
How would you like to go to your own wedding and have as observers and witnesses at the ceremony eighteen children who are already yours? Frank and Helen Beardsley did just that, and since then have gone on to have two more children. Their story--the individual tragedies that left them widow and widower, the "stranger than fiction" chain of events that brought them together, their courtship, their marriage, and above all how they and their children live, work, and play together--is here told engagingly, warmly, often movingly, and always brightly by Helen, the lovely young widow who, with her husband Frank, built a new life in a new marriage and in so doing is raising more children in her young lifetime than the average grandmother ever pats on the head. Who gets the drumstick indeed? In such a family how does the ordinary pattern of domestic life work? What is the food budget; the clothing; who gets up first? How do you remember the names of the children? What about dentist appointments? Who minds whom? Really, at the family dinner, always banquet-size, who does get the drumstick? Who Gets the Drumstick? answers all these questions--and does more. It gives us a glimpse of a warm, decent family who through the strength and guidance of the parents have made life joyous where further tragedy might have resulted.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.