- Table View
- List View
`There is much to commend this comprehensive work: it is engaging to read, accessible in style and honestly conveyed. I will certainly be including it as a key text for our university's new CBT module next year. I am reminded once again that contemporary CBT is a therapy for the people; accessible, affordable, resourceful and client empowering' - Therapy Today `[This book] is written in a very readable plain English format that gives the reader an immediate grasp of the concepts... [and] a great insight into the CBT model in a very structured and practical way. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is curious about CBT' - Eisteach, Irish Association for Counselling and 'This book has been published at the optimum time when references to CBT are ubiquitous, and understanding the principles of this widely publicised intervention is essential. A fine balance of the evidence base, therapeutic interventions and the practicalities of the key components of intervention promotes this text to a higher level of sophistication' - Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy `a worthwhile introduction to CBT and... a thorough overview of the approach that is well supported by research evidence. Written by experience practitioners in an accessible language, this book is recommended for those new to CBT. It is also a useful refresher for the more experienced therapist' - Nursing Standard, 4 star review An Introduction to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is a beginner's guide to the basic theory, skills, and applications of CBT. Well supported by research evidence, CBT has become one of the most widely practised and most popular therapeutic approaches. For those new to the approach this practical text sets out the core concepts and generic skills of CBT including: " the method of Socratic dialogue " case formulation " the therapeutic relationship " therapeutic strategies - cognitive, behavioural, and physiological. The text then goes on to illustrate how these techniques can be applied to the most common mental health problems - depression, panic and agoraphobia, OCD and health anxiety, social anxiety, and generalized anxiety disorder. Other, less common, disorders are also explored, as are different methods of delivery including work with individuals, groups, couples, and families. This text will be invaluable to all those coming to CBT for the first time whether on training courses or as part of their everyday work. It will also be a useful refresher for those with some experience who want to remind themselves of core skills David Westbrook is Director of the Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre (OCTC) and a consultant clinical psychologist with Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust (OBMH). Helen Kennerley is a consultant clinical psychologist with OCTC and OBMH. Joan Kirk was the founding Director of OCTC and is now a consultant clinical psychologist with OCTC and in private practice.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.