- Table View
- List View
This is a collection of four science fiction stories including: Enough Rope by Poul Anderson; The Claustrophile by Theodore Sturgeon; The Children's Hour by Henry Kuttner, and Plus X by Eric Frank Russell.
In the Dark World Bond opposes the machinations of the dread lord Ganelon and his terrible retinue of werewolves, wizards, and witches, but all is not as it seems in this shadowy mirror of the real world, and Bond discovers that a part of him feels more at home here than he ever has on Earth.
Included in this volume are three of Henry Kuttner's classic science fiction tales: "Don't Look Now" (originally published in Startling Stories, March, 1948), in which invisible Martians secretly control the Earth . . . or do they? "Gallegher Plus" (originally published in Astounding Science Fiction, November 1943), in which an inventor's genius only comes out when he's drunk . . . but what happens when he can't remember what his inventions are for? Plus "Juke-Box" (originally published in Clash By Night in 1947), in which an alien juke-box makes a man's life a little too pleasurable!
This book includes three science fiction stories. In Dr. Cyclops by Henry Kuttner, a brilliant scientist learns how to reduce Lilliputian size and finds the perfect guinea pigs when three colleagues try to discover his secrets. In Too Late for Eternity by Bryce Walton, a man fears growing old and being replaced, in a female-dominated society where women never age. In The Harpers of Titan by Edmond Hamilton, Captain Future and his Futuremen face a hideous peril as Simon Wright, the Living Brain, is implanted in a human body.
Beneath the roiling seas and deadly atmosphere of Venus are the Keeps--fully enclosed cities and within those cities live descendants of the survivors who first harbored atomic energy to propel the spaceships that took them to Venus. In massive superstructures built beneath the Venusian seas, a complex feudal society devoted simply to decadence has evolved. Presiding over that society are Immortals--genetic throwbacks to the mutant atomic survivors. While the society is stable, the stability will only lead to its destruction, and the harsh environment outside the Keeps is malevolent and encroaching. Born into all of this is Sam Harker, son of an Immortal, the object of his father's disdain and whose mother perishes in childbirth. Sam is subjected to treatments which stunt his growth and leave him hairless, and he is exiled from the society of the Immortals and set on the tumultuous path of a rebel's life, one inspired by hatred and a desire for vengeance on the society that exiled him in the first place and made him an outcast. Sam's search for revenge and his great abilities make him more powerful than the more decadent residents of Keeps, even more powerful perhaps than the Immortals. Sam seeks mass appeal as a politician in a campaign that assaults society itself. It is not until everything is destroyed--that is, in the aftermath of destruction--that the reclamation of human destiny is even a remote possibility.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.