- Table View
- List View
This is a collection of four science fiction stories including: Enough Rope by Poul Anderson; The Claustrophile by Theodore Sturgeon; The Children's Hour by Henry Kuttner, and Plus X by Eric Frank Russell.
In the Dark World Bond opposes the machinations of the dread lord Ganelon and his terrible retinue of werewolves, wizards, and witches, but all is not as it seems in this shadowy mirror of the real world, and Bond discovers that a part of him feels more at home here than he ever has on Earth.
This book includes three science fiction stories. In Dr. Cyclops by Henry Kuttner, a brilliant scientist learns how to reduce Lilliputian size and finds the perfect guinea pigs when three colleagues try to discover his secrets. In Too Late for Eternity by Bryce Walton, a man fears growing old and being replaced, in a female-dominated society where women never age. In The Harpers of Titan by Edmond Hamilton, Captain Future and his Futuremen face a hideous peril as Simon Wright, the Living Brain, is implanted in a human body.
Beneath the roiling seas and deadly atmosphere of Venus are the Keeps--fully enclosed cities and within those cities live descendants of the survivors who first harbored atomic energy to propel the spaceships that took them to Venus. In massive superstructures built beneath the Venusian seas, a complex feudal society devoted simply to decadence has evolved. Presiding over that society are Immortals--genetic throwbacks to the mutant atomic survivors. While the society is stable, the stability will only lead to its destruction, and the harsh environment outside the Keeps is malevolent and encroaching. Born into all of this is Sam Harker, son of an Immortal, the object of his father's disdain and whose mother perishes in childbirth. Sam is subjected to treatments which stunt his growth and leave him hairless, and he is exiled from the society of the Immortals and set on the tumultuous path of a rebel's life, one inspired by hatred and a desire for vengeance on the society that exiled him in the first place and made him an outcast. Sam's search for revenge and his great abilities make him more powerful than the more decadent residents of Keeps, even more powerful perhaps than the Immortals. Sam seeks mass appeal as a politician in a campaign that assaults society itself. It is not until everything is destroyed--that is, in the aftermath of destruction--that the reclamation of human destiny is even a remote possibility.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.