Chuang Tzŭ belongs to a period three or four centuries before Christ. A disciple of Lao Tzŭ, his writings, which as a consequence are mostly allegorical, are an attempt to refute the materialistic Confucian teaching that arose after Lao Tzŭ's death. Although Chuang Tzŭ failed in his aims, he left a work of marvellous literary beauty and great originality. This classic translation makes Chuang Tzŭ available to English readers with the aid of a running commentary incorporated in the body of the text.
Long considered a masterpiece of the eerie and fantastic, Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio is a collection of supernatural tales compiled by Songling Pu in the eighteenth century. Full of stories of ghosts, magic, vampirism and other things bizarre and fantastic, this classic of Chinese literature--and of supernatural tales in general--has been revised and updated, and includes pinyin for the first time. Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio is for anyone who loves hair-raising stories best read with the lights turned low on a dark and stormy night.
Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio: The classic collection of eerie and fantastic Chinese stories of the supernatural (Tuttle Classics)by Herbert A. Giles Victoria Cass Pu Songling
Long considered a masterpiece of the eerie and fantastic, Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio is a collection of supernatural-themed tales compiled from ancient Chinese folk stories by Songling Pu in the eighteenth century. <P><P> These tales of ghosts, magic, vampirism, and other things bizarre and fantastic are an excellent Chinese companion to Lafcadio Hearn's well-known collections of Japanese ghost stories Kwaidan and In Ghostly Japan.Already a true classic of Chinese literature and of supernatural tales in general, this new edition of the Herbert A. Giles translation converts the work to Pinyin for the first time and includes a new foreword by Victoria Cass that properly introduces the book to both readers of Chinese literature and of hair-raising tales best read with the lights turned low on a quiet night.Some of the stories found in these pages include:The Tiger of ZhaochengThe Magic SwordMiss Lianziang, the Fox-GirlThe Quarrelsome BrothersThe Princess LilyA Rip Van WinkleThe Resuscitated CorpseTaoist MiraclesA Chinese Solomon
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.