- Table View
- List View
Note from the publisher: Because of his deep interest in and knowledge of American history, Hervey Allen undertook to write a saga of colonial times-- in Pennsylvania, the Ohio country, and New York State. It was to be called The Disinherited. The protagonist was one Salathiel Albine. Mr. Allen finished the first three volumes of this great novel: The Forest and the Fort, Bedford Village, and Toward the Morning. He had written a section of the fourth volume-- The City in the Dawn-- when death cut short his labors. Fortunately the completed chapters bring Salathiel Albine at last from the forest to the city, the symbol of man's pilgrimage from savagery to civilization. To make this single-volume edition possible, much careful and judicious editing has had to be done in order to retain the vitality of Mr. Allen's fascinating story and of his deep insight into life and people. This editing was done by Julie Eidesheim, who worked closely with Mr. Allen throughout the writing of these books. THE CITY IN THE DAWN -- Containing: THE FOREST AND THE FORT, BEDFORD VILLAGE and TOWARD THE MORNING. A saga of colonial times-- in Pennsylvania, the Ohio country, and New York State. We follow Salathiel Albine through the New American "West", meeting people, distrust, war and perhaps love.
This book vividly chronicles the experiences of the Twenty-eighth Division in the summer of 1918. Made up primarily of Pennsylvania National Guardsmen, the Twenty-eighth Division saw extensive action on the Western Front. The story begins with Lieutenant Allen and his men marching inland from the French coast and ends with their participation in the disastrous battle for the village of Fismette.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.