- Table View
- List View
Laban Hill, author of the acclaimed Harlem Stomp, is back with an in-depth exploration of America in the 1960's and the young people who built a new world around them and changed our society significantly. Like Harlem Stomp, America Dreaming is an educational and visual look into a time of energy and influence. Covering subjects such as the civil rights movement, hippie culture, black nationalism, and the feminist movement, Hill paints a sprawling picture of life in the '60's and shows how teenagers were on the forefront of the societal changes that occurred during this grand decade. America Dreaming is a virtual time capsule, full of photos, song lyrics, poetry, art, protest posters, sixties lingo and iconography that will give readers an authentic and inspiring experience.
Frida Kahlo's work comes to life in this magical realist novel, the latest addition to Watson-Guptill's acclaimed Art Encounters series. The story alternates between Kahlo's home in Mexico City, Casa Azul, and the journey of a teenage girl and her young brother, lost in the city. At the mystical Casa Azul, everything with a face talks--including Kahlo's pet monkey, her cat, portraits on the wall. Over the course of the book, the cover painting,Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird, transforms from a nightmarish vision of death into a life-affirming masterpiece. This dramatic story offers a vivid reimagining of the life and work of a woman as well known for her amazing life as for her amazing art. *Laban Hill is a National Book Award Finalist and recipient of the Parents Choice Gold Award. * Frida Kahlo is one of the most popular artists among young people today-her art and her blazingly flamboyant style make her eternally up-to-date. * Ties in to school curriculum in art and social studies.
To us it is just dirt, the ground we walk on... But to Dave it was clay, the plain and basic stuff upon which he formed a life as a slave nearly 200 years ago. Dave was an extraordinary artist, poet, and potter living in South Carolina in the 1800s. He combined his superb artistry with deeply observant poetry, carved onto his pots, transcending the limitations he faced as a slave. In this inspiring and lyrical portrayal, National Book Award nominee Laban Carrick Hill's elegantly simple text and award-winning artist Bryan Collier's resplendent, earth-toned illustrations tell Dave's story, a story rich in history, hope, and long-lasting beauty.<P><P>Winner of the Coretta Scott King Medal
The Harlem Renaissance (1919-1934) is one of the most fascinating periods of American cultural history. Harlem Stomp is the first trade book to bring this important period alive for young adults. Lavishly illustrated with a cover by Caldecott Honor winner Christopher Myers, sepia tone photographs, reproductions of historical documents, and full-color paintings, the book also includes a powerful foreword written by award-winning poet Nikki Giovanni, and features artwork, political rhetoric, poetry, and prose by prominent Harlem Renaissance artists, activists, and writers, such as Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Sargent Johnson, and Marcus Garvey. Harlem Stomp is both a historical exploration and a lively celebration of the Harlem Renaissance.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.