A Residence of Twenty-One Years in the Sandwich Islands: Of the Civil, Religious, and Political History of Those Islandsby Hiram Bingham Terence Barrow
The fascinating personal account from one of the first Westerners to live in Hawaii.A Residence of Twenty-One Years in the Sandwich Islands, by the Reverend Hiram Bingham, was first printed in New York in 1847. <P><P>The book provides a panoramic history of Hawaii from before its discovery in 1778 by Captain James Cook up to 1845. Hiram Bingham became Hawaii's most notable missionary, an adviser to kings and queens, and was truly one of Hawaii's most influential historical figures. His work did much to transform old Hawaii into a new Hawaii. He was a child of his time, an ardent advocate of the Calvinistic Christianity of New England. He was unsympathetic to the traditional Hawaiian culture, yet his book tells us an enormous amount about Hawaiians as well as the missionary endeavors of himself and his colleagues.Personally Bingham was a man of great courage in a world of danger. Whaleers and their bottles of grog, the condemnation of those who opposed him, his worries about backsliding chiefs, wayward boy and girl converts, monarchs who liked alcohol-all these were very real problems to Bingham and his colleagues, amusing though they may seem to us today.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.