- Table View
- List View
In this collection of six gritty tales from the underground, Iceberg Slim creates a tribute to the streets and those forced to try to survive them.From slick con men, classic tales of revenge, to a heist gone awry, Robert Beck, the man many know as Iceberg Slim, brings us on a ride through the terrifying urban streets. With the same unforgettable and distinctive prose, Airtight Willie & Me is further evidence that Iceberg Slim is the only author capable of capturing the language of the streets. Compelling always, funny sometimes, and typically bleak at their ends, Slim gives us six slices of city life that will leave you thirsting for more.
This is the story of Chicago's ruthless and tireless mafia. The intensely real characters, the brutal overlords, their faithful lackeys and their vengeful enemies all collide in acts of loyalty, lust, greed and death. Power hungry Don, Jimmy Collucci, is out to become the kingpin of Chicago's "Honored Society." However his rise to the top can only be thwarted by one man fueled by revenge set out to destroy it, the "Black Warrior" Jessie Taylor. When ambitions collide, guns are drawn and blood is spilled. This is the original mafia story.
The author that brought black literature to the streets is back. Weaving stories of deceit, sex, humor, and race, Iceberg Slim brings us three legendary tales. As real as you can get without jumping in, Pimp is the story of Slim's life as he saw, felt, tasted, and smelled it. A trip through hell by one man who lived to tell the tale. The dangers of jail, addiction, and death that are still all too familiar for today's black community. Trick Baby brings us the story of a hustler who doesn't just play the con game, he transforms it. Continuing the saga, Long White Con tells the story of the most incredible con man ever to rise and the schemes that would take him to the top. "Iceberg Slim was the Godfather of a genre." --K'wan, #1 bestselling author "One of the greatest black writers in American History." --Ice-T "The best known pimp of our time." --Hollie West for The Washington Post
Picking up where Trick Baby left off we dive into the world of Johnny O'Brien, better known as White Folks. After learning to use his fair skin to his advantage to rise to the top of the Chicago con game, Folks is back for the big money and the big stakes of the long con. Following the death of his partner and mentor, Blue, Folks takes off for Canada. Having honed his skills and polished his acting, Johnny is done cheating marks out of small money. With a gang of grifters working with him, High Pockets Kate, High Ass Marvel and the Vicksburg Kid among them, Folks is after the biggest score of his life.
The most gritty and true illustration of the black ghetto ever told, from the only man capable of telling it, Iceberg Slim, bestselling author of Pimp.Mama Black Widow tells the tragic story of Otis Tilson, a stunning black drag queen trapped in a cruel queer ghetto underworld. In hopes of escaping the racial bigotry and economic injustice of the South, Otis' family journeys north from their plantation to an urban promised land. Once in Chicago Otis and his brother and sisters become prisoners to a wasteland of violence, crime, prostitution, and rape. This is the gut-wrenching tale of the destruction of a family and the truest portrayal of homosexuality in the ghetto ever told.
Detailing the haunting past of Robert Beck, known to the streets as Iceberg Slim, these essays tackle the idea of hope: the possibility to veer off course in life and then to change for the better.While bringing brutal and difficult-to-swallow tales from the underground, this book exposes the author's inner workings unlike any of Iceberg Slim's other works. His tough exterior evolves into a straight-out, heartfelt confession. As if Iceberg Slim's captivating, rough words weren't enough to evoke the essence of this time in his life--the L.A. underground of the 1960s--each character carries their own baggage, struggle, and influence on Iceberg's vision of the world. These tales serve as a chilling reminder that we are all still inmates of one prison or another, and the time to break free has arrived.ns loud and clear, and ready for vengeance.
The book that brought black literature to the streets is back to show the Hip Hop generation what it's all about, where they came from. By telling the story of one man's struggles and triumphs in an underground world, this book shows the game doesn't change.
This is the gritty truth, the life of a hustler in south side Chicago where the only characters are those who con and those who get conned.Trick Baby tells the story of "White Folks," a blue-eyed, light-haired, con-artist whose pale skin allows him to pass in the streets as a white man. Folks is tormented early in life, rejected by other children and branded a "Trick Baby," the child conceived between a hooker and her trick. Refusing to abandon his life in the ghetto and a chance at revenge, Folks is taken under the wing of an older mentor, Blue. What happens next is not to be believed. Only Slim could bring us the story of a hustler, forced to learn the game and rise to the top. It's Slim's story and he tells it in the only way he knows how, in the language of the streets.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.