- Table View
- List View
Today over nine million Americans no longer eat meat every day and many more are joining this joyous lifestyle to save animal lives. Some are pure vegetarians--or vegans--and do not use animal ingredients of any kind, including eggs and dairy products. Whether you are changing your diet for humanitarian reasons or because you are interested in maintaining a healthy body or preserving the planet's resources, this is the cookbook for you.
"People say, 'Oh, it's easy for you to make an impact. But I'm no one of importance. No one would listen to me.' If I have learned anything, it is that they are wrong. Dead wrong. The world is just waiting to hear from them, just as it is waiting to hear from you." --Ingrid NewkirkWhen Ingrid Newkirk almost single-handedly set into motion the largest animal-rights organization in the world, she knew that one person can make a difference. In this book, Ingrid has collected the wisdom, stories, and insight of dozens of activists and world-changers who have proven that one person can make a movement. This engaging and enlightening collection is a call to action for readers everywhere.Because one can make a difference.
Drawing upon her studies of Vedic traditions, Sharron Gannon explores how the physical and spiritual practice of Yoga is historically and structurally tied to a vegetarian lifestyle. Integral to one another, both Yoga and Vegetarianism form a framework for physical and spiritual attunement, and when practiced as a whole provide engender an incomparably healthy lifestyle. Samadhi is the aim of the Yoga practice. It is a Sanskrit word meaning 'same as the highest'. It is the identification of the individual with the Absolute supreme consciousness which is truth, knowledge and unending bliss. The first step in Patanjali's system of Yoga is Ahimsa, which means the practice of non-harming and nonviolence. This is the reason vegetarianism is a main tenet of Yoga. You simply cannot eat another being without harming them first. The practices of Yoga are meant to be practices, meaning you work toward the attainment of perfection, knowing that perfection may never come. Yoga has been called the perfection of action. All actions originate as thoughts, so a perfect action must come from a perfect thought. What is a perfect thought? A perfect thought is one that is free of selfish desire, anger and hate. We return to Ahimsa as the means to perfect action. See yourself in others, all others, and then go beyond seeing. BE yourself in others until there are no others, until there is only Love, only One. The single most important part of your yoga practice is the strict adherence to a vegetarian diet, a diet free of needless cruelty, harm and injustice. Ahimsa is not an optional part of the program, it is the first step.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.