- Table View
- List View
Federal agents have descended upon a safe house in a remote corner of the California wilderness. Their mission: arrest an informant in a drug cartel and bring him in alive. But within minutes eight men are dead. The resulting internal investigation is stonewalled by the DEA--and special prosecutor Luke Garrison knows why. In the ashes of the ambush, he has discovered clues to a cold-blooded murder. ... The high-profile trial pits Garrison against high-powered enemies-- and makes him the next target in an ever-deepening cover-up shaded by explosive secrets, public ambition, and private vendettas. Like the DEA raiders before him, Garrison has walked unwittingly into a trap, And this time it could cost him his life.
Cast out of academia after a failed affair, Fritz Tullis retreats to Maryland, where he tries to photograph a rare whooping crane. Through his lens, however, he witnesses a murder. Suddenly, Fritz stumbles upon a plot involving the State Department, the CIA, and a foreign diplomat. He soon launches his own investigation of one murder that leads to many more--perhaps even his own.
Prominent archaeologists Walt and Jocelyn Gaines had just completed the latest phase of excavation of a fabulous Mayan ruin when they were waylaid by bandits. In the skirmish, Jocelyn was fatally wounded. The couple's three sons, Clancy, Tom, and Will, are devastated, but the loss is compounded when their father suddenly cuts off all contact without explanation. Together, the trio attempt to reconstruct what happened, and discover their father living a life of surprising affluence with a mysterious young girlfriend. The brothers explore every corner of their parents' lives and eventually end up in Central America to confront their mother's killer. But just when they know enough to suspect the worst, they discover that the truth is actually much more complex than they could have imagined.
Lawyer Wyatt Matthews has a thriving practice, a glitzy house, a sleek car, and a beautiful wife. So why does he feel unfulfilled? Not enough "real life." So he takes a leave from his lucrative law firm, signs on with the public defender, and takes on the seemingly unwinnable case of teenage drug dealer Marvin White. In jail for robbery, White tries to impress a fellow prisoner by claiming to be the serial killer responsible for the deaths of half a dozen prostitutes. But the prisoner who hears White's confession is a snitch who uses his scoop to his own advantage. Only Wyatt, with a skeleton staff and none of the resources his old firm offered, can help prove White's innocence and convict the real killer.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.