Laron syndrome (LS), or primary growth hormone (GH) insensitivity, was first described in 1966. Since then, many patients worldwide have been diagnosed with LS, which involves defects in the GH receptor that cause combined congenital deficiency of GH and IGF-I activities. In this comprehensive book the authors draw upon 50 years of multidisciplinary clinical and investigative follow-up of the large Israeli cohort of LS patients. The genetic basis of the syndrome is fully considered, and all aspects of the pathophysiology of IGF-I deficiency are described. Data derived from the recently generated mouse model of LS are reviewed and compared with the human LS experience. Valuable advice is provided on treatment, and treatment effects, such as metabolic effects, adipose tissue alterations, and impact on aging, are fully explored. Together, this book condenses, consolidates, compares, and contrasts data derived from the human and mouse LS experiences and provides a unique resource for clinical and basic scientists to evaluate and compare IGF-I and GH actions.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.