- Table View
- List View
The rain has ceased. Radio-active waste has stopped the sea evaporating. The sun beats down on the parching earth, and on the parching spirit of man. A warped new mankind is bred out of the dead land -- bitter, murderous, its values turned upside down. Idiots reign. Water replaces currency and becomes the source of a bleak new evil.
<I><CENTER>The classic, award-winning novel, made famous by Steven Spielberg's film, tells of a young boy's struggle to survive World War II in China.</CENTER></I>Jim is separated from his parents in a world at war. To survive, he must find a strength greater than all the events that surround him.Shanghai, 1941 -- a city aflame from the fateful torch of Pearl Harbor. In streets full of chaos and corpses, a young British boy searches in vain for his parents. Imprisoned in a Japanese concentration camp, he is witness to the fierce white flash of Nagasaki, as the bomb bellows the end of the war...and the dawn of a blighted world. Ballard's enduring novel of war and deprivation, internment camps and death marches, and starvation and survival is an honest coming-of-age tale set in a world thrown utterly out of joint.
THE HIGH-RISE WAS DESIGNED TO OFFER THE ULTIMATE IN GRACIOUS LIVING. IT WAS DESTINED TO DELIVER THE ULTIMATE IN HORROR. No pains had been spared to insure that the 2000 tenants of the forty-story luxury apartment building should have everything that modern technology could offer. Total air-conditioning ... incredibly swift elevators ... swimming pools ... schools ... supermarkets ... banks ... liquor stores ... all were part of the high-priced package. All the apartments were rented, all the families had moved in. Now the architect's dream was about to become a living reality. The deadly nightmare was about to begin ...
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.