The moving story of the bond between a man and a wild dog.
Here is a dog story that quivers with human life and drama, with the beauty and thrill of the Northland, with the courage of men and women pitted against the eternal cold. It is a heroic tale of the most ancient struggle of man against the elements in which modern innovations--serums, radio, the airplane--play a vital part. A handful of courageous men, women, and children locked in the boundless snows of the North were suddenly caught in the grip of diphtheria. Only serum could save them. One lone doctor was waging a losing battle against the horrible scourge which was stalking the silent wastes again. When hope was almost abandoned, Jim Thorne and Silver Chief arrived with the precious life-saving serum. The little outpost was saved. With the arrival of the Mountie and his stalwart dog, the luck of the community seemed to have changed. Drifting herds of caribou cast their shadows over the wastes--rich game and nourishing food to the isolated village. Following them came the fox. This meant priceless skins and a season of plenty. But mysteriously the skins of the fur-trappers were vanishing out of the traps, and none other than Silver Chief was blamed. Jim Thorne set himself the task of clearing Silver Chief's name, and the trail of investigation led him through many dangers and surprises. This is a tale that, without sacrificing one second of sheer narrative spell, is richly instructive in the lore of hunting, trapping, sledging, and the maintaining of order.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.