- Table View
- List View
The Eagles' Brood continues the saga of the Colony known as Camulod, and the tale of the descendants of those brave Romans who forged a new way of life for the Celt and Roman peoples when the Roman legions departed Britain. Most know the new leader of the Colony as Merlyn; all call him Commander. Cauis Merlyn Britannicus is responsible for their safety, and all look to him for guidance, leadership, justice, and salvation. It is a harsh life but a good community, and Merlyn is dedicated to spreading the influence of Roman culture beyond the Colony's borders. Uther Pendragon, the man who will father the legendary Arthur, is the cousin Merlyn has known and loved since they were birthed, four hours apart on the same day, the year the legions left Britain. He is the tireless warrior--the red dragon to Merlyn's great silver bear--and between the two of them, the Colony knows few enemies. As different as they can be, they are inseparable: two faces of the same coin. In a world torn apart by warfare and upheaval, each is the other's certainty and guarantee of the survival of the Colony . . . until a vicious crime, one that strikes at the roots of Merlyn's life, drives a wedge between them. A wedge that threatens the fate of a nation ....
In his efforts to keep young Arthur safe, and to educate him in a safe environment, Merlin leaves Camulod with Arthur and a selected group. He takes them by galleys, owned by Connor. Derek of Ravenglass gives them permission to occupy an abandoned fort, Mediobogdum, and they stay there for about 5 years. However, they must still avoid enemies such as Peter Ironhair and his magician friend, and Arthur must learn to perform in battle the things he has been taught. Merlin drops his name and becomes plain Master Cay.
The Renegade is a blazing, brilliant, new historical adventure in Jack Whyte's Guardians series. Packed with action, heroism, and vibrant historical detail, The Renegade recounts the life of Scotland's greatest medieval king, Robert the Bruce. Bruce was one of the most famous warriors of his generation, eventually leading Scotland during the Wars of Scottish Independence against the Kingdom of England, most famously at the bloody Battle of Bannockburn. Today in Scotland, Bruce is revered as a national hero, but during his lifetime, the rebellious leader and guerrilla tactician was a thorn in Edward Plantagenet"s side, earning himself the nickname the Renegade. Set in the 14th century, The Guardians series features three extraordinary guardians of medieval Scotland, the greatest heroes the country ever produced. The exploits and escapades, high ideals, and fierce patriotism of William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, and Sir James Douglas are the stuff of legends, and the soul and substance of these epic novels.
The orphaned Arthur is heir to the Colony of Camulod. Born with Roman heritage as well as the royal blood of the Hibernians and the Celtics, Arthur is the living incarnation of his ancestors' dream: independent survival in Britain amidst the ruins of the Roman Empire. When Arthur is adopted by his cousin, Caius Merlyn Britannicus, an enormous responsibility is placed upon Merlyn's shoulders. Now he must prepare young Arthur to unify the clans of Britain and guard the mighty sword Excalibur, crafted by his great uncle, Publius Varrus. Above all, Merlyn must see that Arthur survives to achieve his ancestors' dream, in spite of the deadly threats rumbling from the Saxon Shore. "Another dipperful from the fertile Arthurian well, sans magic but brimful of action". -- Kirkus Reviews on the Eagles' Brood. "Whyte breathes life into the Arthurian myths by weaving the reality of history into it. The first volume has left me eagerly awaiting the forthcoming sequels". -- Tony Hillerman. "This isn't the usual Arthurian tale with a fantasy gloss; in graphic realism lies its fascination, and its power". -- Publishers Weekly on The Eagles' Brood.
The story of how the legendary sword Excalibur was forged.
The relationship between a leader of a Roman legion and his subordinate, and the search for a mysterious stone which fell from the sky. Narrated by Publius Varrus, first as a soldier and then an ironsmith, he develops a close relationship with his Legate, Caius Brittanicus. In 369 A.D., Publius leaves the military and takes up his trade as an ironsmith. He seeks a special stone, The Skystone, which contains a valuable quality of metal, which his grandfather told him about. He goes to the place where the Skystones are supposed to have fallen from the sky, and there meets his future wife, who is the sister of his former Legate and friend, Caius Brittanicus.
In the sixth volume of Whyte's widely praised Camulod Chronicles, the king is crowned--and a legend is born.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.