- Table View
- List View
The moving story of the bond between a man and a wild dog.
Here is a dog story that quivers with human life and drama, with the beauty and thrill of the Northland, with the courage of men and women pitted against the eternal cold. It is a heroic tale of the most ancient struggle of man against the elements in which modern innovations--serums, radio, the airplane--play a vital part. A handful of courageous men, women, and children locked in the boundless snows of the North were suddenly caught in the grip of diphtheria. Only serum could save them. One lone doctor was waging a losing battle against the horrible scourge which was stalking the silent wastes again. When hope was almost abandoned, Jim Thorne and Silver Chief arrived with the precious life-saving serum. The little outpost was saved. With the arrival of the Mountie and his stalwart dog, the luck of the community seemed to have changed. Drifting herds of caribou cast their shadows over the wastes--rich game and nourishing food to the isolated village. Following them came the fox. This meant priceless skins and a season of plenty. But mysteriously the skins of the fur-trappers were vanishing out of the traps, and none other than Silver Chief was blamed. Jim Thorne set himself the task of clearing Silver Chief's name, and the trail of investigation led him through many dangers and surprises. This is a tale that, without sacrificing one second of sheer narrative spell, is richly instructive in the lore of hunting, trapping, sledging, and the maintaining of order.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.