[from the back cover] "For almost a month Mt. Pelée, the long-dormant volcano towering over the city of St Pierre on the island of Martinique, had been sending out warning signals: clouds of thick yellow-brown smoke, loud rumbles, avalanches of mud and rocks that crushed trees and rooftops in the surrounding countryside. At night the sky glowed with a brilliant ominous red. The experts poohpoohed these warnings. The Governor of the island listened to the experts. No evacuation of the city was ordered. Then, on the morning of May 8, 1902, at 7:50 A.M. Mt. Pelée awoke with a vengeance. An explosion heard for hundreds of miles poured flaming gases and jets of superheated steam down onto the sleeping city, turning it into a living hell. By 7:53 A.M. all but three of its 30,000 inhabitants were dead. Of these three survivors, two died within hours. The third was a convicted murderer awaiting execution in a dungeon deep beneath the city jail. The only survivor of St Pierre was a man condemned to die! 30 dramas of death and destruction. And they're all true!"
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.