From the Book jacket: From the Author: I started writing books for young people when I was an elementary-school teacher. I wanted my students to read more, and I began to write books about things that they were interested in. They liked to read about people who were famous and how they got to be famous. Most of my students were black, and I wanted them to have books about black people who had overcome poverty and discrimination. These kinds of books were not available when I was growing up in the South. In fact, I could not even use the public library, because I was black. Although Diana Ross grew up in Detroit, not the South, she had to overcome a lot of barriers because she was poor and black. I have followed her career ever since she began singing with the Supremes. When she played Billie Holiday in Lady Sings the Blues, I became even more interested. She was "stretching" her talents. She wasn't content just to be a singer. I feel that she has a lot of courage and has taken many risks in her career. Many newspaper and magazine articles have been written about Diana Ross. Many of these articles are on microfilm or in large, bound magazine volumes in the library. It was interesting to go through these articles and read what she said years ago. It was fun to look at pictures from twenty years back. Styles in hair and clothing have changed so much. People change, too. The important thing is whether or not they feel good about the changes, whether or not they are able to grow in spirit. Diana Ross has. J.H.
A biography of the blind composer, pianist, and singer who was a child prodigy and went on to win nine Grammy awards.<P><P>Winner of the Coretta Scott King Medal
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.