- Table View
- List View
Here's a fascinating look behind the scenes of one of the world's busiest airports. You'll meet pilots, policemen, air traffic controllers, flight attendants, chaplains and a host of others besides. Learn how this sprawling, ill-planned airport, long past its glory days, really ticks. Learn about the crash of Eastern flight 66. Follow the swift demise of twa and visit with the birdman of John f. Kennedy airport. An enthralling, nonfiction book that you won't want to put down.
Before the string of hit songs, the Rat Pack, and the stellar movie career, Dean Martin spent ten years partnering Jerry Lewis in one of the most successful double acts of show business history. In this wise-cracking yet candid memoir, Lewis recalls with crystal clarity the highs and lows of his relationship with Dean: remembering their first meeting on a New York street corner one spring afternoon, the early improvised performances in mob owned nightclubs, and the giddy days of Hollywood super-stardom, when it seemed the couples high-rolling lifestyle would last for ever. It didn't. On July 24th 1956, Dean and Jerry split and the two men weren't to speak to one another for twenty years. Jerry Lewis is one of the few surviving Hollywood legends from the period and he is a wonderful raconteur whose tales reveal much about Dean Martin's craftsmanship and enigmatic charm. In his own unique voice he evokes all the glamour of the era - the casinos, the endless pranks, the cocktails, the mobsters, and the women. He writes movingly too of the thrill of the youthful duo's sudden, startling success, and the slow sad erosion of the fun that followed.
Bestselling author Kaplan redefines Frank Sinatra in a triumphant new biography that includes many rarely seen photographs. He reveals Sinatra as man, as a musician, and as a tortured genius.
John McEnroe was just an eighteen-year-old amateur from Queens when he stunned the tennis world by making it to the Wimbledon semifinals in 1977. He turned pro the following year after winning the NCAA singles title; three years later, he was ranked number one in the world. McEnroe dominated tennis in the eighties, winning three Wimbledon and four U. S. Open titles. His 1980 Wimbledon final match with Bjorn Borg is considered by many tennis experts to be the best match ever. You Cannot Be Serious is McEnroe at his most personal, a no-holds-barred examination of contemporary tennis, his championship seasons, his cantankerous on-court behavior, his marriage to Tatum O'Neal, his current roles as a devoted father, husband to pop star Patty Smyth, senior tennis tour player, and controversial television commentator, and much more. Funny, biting, close to the bone, this is exactly the book you'd expect-and want-from one of the most colorful figures of our time.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.