- Table View
- List View
[from the back cover] "For almost a month Mt. Pelée, the long-dormant volcano towering over the city of St Pierre on the island of Martinique, had been sending out warning signals: clouds of thick yellow-brown smoke, loud rumbles, avalanches of mud and rocks that crushed trees and rooftops in the surrounding countryside. At night the sky glowed with a brilliant ominous red. The experts poohpoohed these warnings. The Governor of the island listened to the experts. No evacuation of the city was ordered. Then, on the morning of May 8, 1902, at 7:50 A.M. Mt. Pelée awoke with a vengeance. An explosion heard for hundreds of miles poured flaming gases and jets of superheated steam down onto the sleeping city, turning it into a living hell. By 7:53 A.M. all but three of its 30,000 inhabitants were dead. Of these three survivors, two died within hours. The third was a convicted murderer awaiting execution in a dungeon deep beneath the city jail. The only survivor of St Pierre was a man condemned to die! 30 dramas of death and destruction. And they're all true!"
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.