- Table View
- List View
Eighteen years ago, a girl shot down a rapist while her father's lawnmower sputtered in the yard outside. Somewhere in the heat and shadows of that day, Alexandra Rafferty took on the burden of her deed, and forged a bond of silence with her cop father. But now Alexandra's husband has left, her father is clinging to his health, and a Miami serial killer is leaving behind death scenes that go beyond the horrific. For Alexandra, her life and work are exploding--exposing the truth about the killer she seeks, the lover she's choosing, and one summer afternoon that has never gone away...
The New York Times Book Review calls Edgar Award winner James W. Hall a "master of suspense," and this new high-stakes thriller shows why as Thorn embarks on a mission to save his newfound son. Earth Liberation Front, known as ELF, is a loosely knit organization comprised of environmental activists scattered around the country. These extremists take a "by any means necessary" approach to defending the planet. In the last decade ELF has been responsible for close to a hundred million dollars in damage mainly through arson. The FBI ranks them, along with other eco-radicals, as the number-one homegrown terrorist threat. Flynn Moss, Thorn's newly discovered son, has naively fallen in with an ELF cell in Miami which has its sights on Turkey Point, the largest nuclear power plant in the state. This ELF group has concocted a nonviolent plan to shut the nuke plant down-nothing more than a huge publicity stunt to call attention to the dangers of nuclear power. But unbeknownst to some in the group, there are other members with a far more violent scheme in mind-to cause a radioactive catastrophe rivaling Chernobyl or Fukushima. With a growing sense of dread about Flynn's whereabouts, Thorn tracks down this son he barely knows to Prince Key, the remote island off the shores of Miami where the ELF group is camped. Once he arrives at Prince Key, Thorn quickly reaches a frightening realization: There is only one way to save his son's life. He must join with the ecoterrorists and help them complete their deadly mission.
450 YEARS AGO A TREASURE SHIP WENT DOWN. IN MIAMI, THE HEAT HASN'T LET UP YET... Hap Tyler sailboards on Biscayne Bay, hears voices, seduces young women, and lives on the edge of history in his family's old-money mansion amid Miami's pastel glitz. But while Hap stumbles around in the shadow of his more successful older brother, Daniel, a tangled web of deception and greed is being spun around him-a web that leads Daniel to his death. Trying to solve his brother's murder, Hap collides with a 450-year-old secret: the disappearance of $400 million in sunken Spanish plunder. Daniel's upscale girlfriend is close to digging up the treasure, an avaricious senator has already tasted it, and a stone-cold killer will stop at nothing to bring it home. For Hap, a dark and bloody vein of Florida-and family-history has been opened. And the only way to close it is through a modern ritual of violence and truth.
DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF WHAT MAKES A MEGA-BESTSELLER IN THIS ENTERTAINING, REVELATORY GUIDE What do Michael Corleone, Jack Ryan, and Scout Finch have in common? Creative writing professor and thriller writer James W. Hall knows. Now, in this entertaining, revelatory book, he reveals how bestsellers work, using twelve twentieth-century blockbusters as case studies--including The Godfather, Gone with the Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Jaws. From tempting glimpses inside secret societies, such as submariners in The Hunt for Red October, and Opus Dei in The Da Vinci Code, to vivid representations of the American Dream and its opposite--the American Nightmare--in novels like The Firm and The Dead Zone, Hall identifies the common features of mega-bestsellers. Including fascinating and little-known facts about some of the most beloved books of the last century, Hit Lit is a must-read for fiction lovers and aspiring writers alike, and makes us think anew about why we love the books we love. edition.
The author's experience and interpretation of studying and practicing Jungian Psychology.
Includes Mutiny on the Bounty, Men Against the Sea, and Pitcairn's Island. Captain Bligh's initial exploits, based on actual events during the late eighteenth century.
Can golf save the world? An all-star line-up of acclaimed authors answers this question and more in this wickedly entertaining novel. Contributors include Lee K. Abbott, Dave Barry, Richard Bausch, James Crumley, James W. Hall, Tami Hoag, Tim O'Brien, Ridley Pearson, and Les Standiford, with each contributing a chapter and passing it along to the next.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.