The entry to this book is the opening of a college lecture. Green guides a dialogue with students, leading them to a new way of perceiving sex vs. gender vs. sexual orientation. At a later point, he uses a computer analogy: hardware is sex (the body), gender is software (the soul or heart or mind), then the operating system is the congruence or lack of between the two. What if your hardware is a PC running Windows but your software is all MAC based? How long do you suffer in silence before taking action to have them be the same, work together, and feel whole? Green skillfully weaves through multiple related topics of transsexuality, with the focus on female to male, a rapidly growing percentage of the community. He includes current history of the movement to create community rather than isolated individuals, a community far behind its opposite of male to female people. He cites the slower advances in surgical techniques, plus the unwillingness of the "System" to grant them entry. Green, like many others, is not satisfied with the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association's Standards of Care, which sets the "rules" and timelines of processes that most Gender Identity Clinics follow. Green found himself not only transitioning into a male body, but into an activist role. He writes about issues related to hormones, explains surgery options and techniques, social and family ramifications, fears and facing discrimination and bigotry, emotions, sexuality, the push-pull desires of just blending in and being a "guy in the crowd" vs. a spokesman and advocate to further advance transsexual acceptance into mainstream society.
In this ground-breaking study, Aaron Devor provides a compassionate, intimate, and incisive look at the life experiences of forty-five trans men. Emerging into 21st-century political and social conversations, questions persist. Who are they? How do they come to know themselves as men? What do they do about it? How do their families respond? Who are their lovers? What does it mean for everyone else? To answer these and other questions, Devor spent years compiling in-depth interviews and researching the lives of transsexual and transgender people. Here, he traces the everyday and significant events that coalesce into trans identities, culminating in gender and sex transformations. Using trans men's own words as illustrations, Devor looks at how childhood, adolescence, and adult experiences with family members, peers, and lovers work to shape and clarify their images of themselves as men. With a new introduction, Devor positions the volume in twenty-first century debates of identity politics and community-building and provides a window into his own self-exploration as a result of his research.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.