- Table View
- List View
Scripture provides insight into additional disciplines--17 in all--and each is essential for strong spiritual development. This book introduces these disciplines and provides biblical proofs as well as present-day illustrations to show how God uses them to increase our capacity for enjoying Him.
Like a modern-day Scarlett O'Hara, Millicent was born into a Southern world of privilege -- a moneyed environment of homesteads, servants, family tradition, and pride. The halcyon days of her childhood left Millicent ill-prepared for the tragedy that would stalk her family and almost destroy it. Like dark cloak, her father's manic depression shrouds her family in shame, forcing them to leave the home they love and journey into a world of poverty, fear, and danger. Millicent becomes a pawn in her family's struggle for survival, nourished only by her dream of restoring her family's honor. But the journey home is a long one. Millicent must overcome sexual and physical abuse, failed relationships, and a perfectionism that leads to bulimia. As if that were not enough, a freak accident leads her to question her sanity and eventually results in her blindness. And so she must learn to live in a world without light... but, in the end, not without live.
Even as a young boy, Dick Hillis wanted to go to China. He dreamed of the riches, fame, and adventure of that distant land. And he dreamed of escape from the farm on which he lived. No more chores--he would return from China a wealthy conqueror. Stealing money for his fare, he set out for California, hoping to land a job as crew member on a ship bound for China. But things didn't work out as planned. Instead, he wound up as a student at the Bible Institute of Los Angeles. Dick Hillis-- rebel and thief--now a Bible student! But still he longed to go to China. Was it just his boyhood dream, or was God calling him to the mission field? God called, and Dick Hillis responded. In fact, he responded with such boldness and faith that he did, indeed, see adventure in China. One day he would stand firmly, face to face with a communist rifle, and proclaim the name of his God.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.