- Table View
- List View
Scripture provides insight into additional disciplines--17 in all--and each is essential for strong spiritual development. This book introduces these disciplines and provides biblical proofs as well as present-day illustrations to show how God uses them to increase our capacity for enjoying Him.
Like a modern-day Scarlett O'Hara, Millicent was born into a Southern world of privilege -- a moneyed environment of homesteads, servants, family tradition, and pride. The halcyon days of her childhood left Millicent ill-prepared for the tragedy that would stalk her family and almost destroy it. Like dark cloak, her father's manic depression shrouds her family in shame, forcing them to leave the home they love and journey into a world of poverty, fear, and danger. Millicent becomes a pawn in her family's struggle for survival, nourished only by her dream of restoring her family's honor. But the journey home is a long one. Millicent must overcome sexual and physical abuse, failed relationships, and a perfectionism that leads to bulimia. As if that were not enough, a freak accident leads her to question her sanity and eventually results in her blindness. And so she must learn to live in a world without light... but, in the end, not without live.
Even as a young boy, Dick Hillis wanted to go to China. He dreamed of the riches, fame, and adventure of that distant land. And he dreamed of escape from the farm on which he lived. No more chores--he would return from China a wealthy conqueror. Stealing money for his fare, he set out for California, hoping to land a job as crew member on a ship bound for China. But things didn't work out as planned. Instead, he wound up as a student at the Bible Institute of Los Angeles. Dick Hillis-- rebel and thief--now a Bible student! But still he longed to go to China. Was it just his boyhood dream, or was God calling him to the mission field? God called, and Dick Hillis responded. In fact, he responded with such boldness and faith that he did, indeed, see adventure in China. One day he would stand firmly, face to face with a communist rifle, and proclaim the name of his God.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.