- Table View
- List View
Who hasn't wondered what it's like to be a dog or bird? Such questions seem unanswerable because we have no way of getting into an animal's mind. Marc Bekoff's work on animal behavior and mind draws world-wide attention for its originality and its probing into what animals might know as well as what skills (mental and physical) are needed to live life successfully as a member of a particular species. Convinced that individuals of every species have some level of self-awareness, Bekoff embarks on fascinating (and often amusing) observations of animals playing, leaving and detecting scent-marks, solving problems, and behaving fairly toward each other. Animal Passions and Beastly Virtues brings together some of his path-breaking research papers, essays on science and ethics, and popular articles in order to reveal a remarkable range of animal behaviors but also to argue that the ethical treatment of animals is an especially significant issue now.
Following a seven-year battle with cancer, Jane Tomlinson died at the age of 43 in September 2007. Almost exactly one year earlier, on 1 September 2006, Jane finished a gruelling nine-week, 3,700-mile cycle ride from the west coast to the east coast of America. Her journey was hailed as one of the greatest endurance feats ever by a terminal cancer sufferer. How Good is That? takes the reader behind the scenes of this extraordinary last ride across terrain and in temperatures which were to prove almost untenable as Jane's illness worsened. She was defiant to the end. The book, already substantially written by Jane for her part before her death, has been completed by Mike to give an incredible and moving insight into his wife's final days as well as the achievements, emotional and physical, of a woman who inspired a nation.
The ultimate guide to investing in property. . . and making a million! Everyone's looking to get rich, and a lot of those people are looking at investing in property as the way to get there. But watch out--making money in real estate isn't always as easy as it might look. At least, not without Your Property Success with Renovation in hand, that is. Written by Jane Slack-Smith, a true investment guru who's put together her own multi-million dollar property portfolio, this is the ultimate guide to making the housing market work for you. Loaded with no-nonsense advice to help you avoid the traps that so many would-be real estate investors fall into, Your Property Success with Renovation introduces a unique three-pronged, low-risk investing strategy. Rather than focusing on fast money, the book encourages a low-risk plan--find an area with above average capital growth, buy below market value, and build value through renovation--that will help you build a strong, profitable real estate portfolio. Introduces "The Trident," a new way of approaching investing in real estate that focuses on low-risks and high rewards, not fast money Written by real estate portfolio expert Jane Slack-Smith, who transformed an initial investment of $45k into a multi-million dollar fortune using the techniques outlined in this book Shows you how to get the most out of the real estate market by emphasizing the value of property renovation With just two investment properties and one renovation the average Australian can put a million dollars in the bank within fifteen years, and mortgage broker Jane Slack-Smith is here to show you how.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.