International Education and the Chinese Learner is one of the first full-length studies in the relatively new field of transnational pedagogy to explore the role of the Chinese learner in international schools and universities across the globe. It describes the unprecedented growth of international schools and university exchange programs during the past decade together with the way in which Chinese learners at all levels have taken advantage of these opportunities and have been scrutinized in the process. The results of this internationalization have in some cases solidified stereotypes about Chinese learners and in other instances have helped to overcome those prejudices. Teachers within the international schools comment about the challenges of integrating students from different ethnic and national backgrounds in their schools and about the rewards of developing intercultural programs that will give the students the most substantial, diverse, and ethical education and encourage cross-cultural understanding, build academic skills, and develop character. University teachers - both Chinese and Western - describe the opportunities and challenges for cross-cultural teaching and learning within the classrooms of their own countries and in global classrooms where local and international teachers together advance new perspectives based on team teaching, interdisciplinarity, and intercultural enquiry.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.