- Table View
- List View
Allegra Fairweather here. Paranormal investigator. Got problems with specters? Shapeshifters? I'm the woman to call. Just don't call me a Ghostbuster. The last guy who did that ended up flat on his back with my boot at his throat. With my 99. 5% success rate, solving the mystery of a bleeding rose that has sprung up on the shores of Loch Furness should have been an easy gig. But already I've heard the shriek of the local banshee, discovered two bodies (and then lost two bodies), and had a near-death encounter with a three-hundred-year-old ghost. And perhaps most dangerous of all, the hot pub owner who hired me now wants to show me exactly what's under his kilt. Luckily, I'm ably assisted by my very own guardian angel. I'm grateful for his help-but he's also drop-dead gorgeous. A bit distracting when I've got a mystery to solve, and the clock is ticking. . .
In honor of our second anniversary, Carina Press brings you four gripping novellas by some of genre fiction's hottest voices! Explore interstellar space, get caught up in a caper, dabble in the paranormal and solve a murder aboard a cruise ship in this collection of stories reflecting the variety of our books!Edited by Deborah Nemeth, this anthology includes:Dead Calm by Shirley WellsDance of Flames by Janni NellNo Money Down by Julie MoffettPyro Canyon by Robert AppletonStories also available for purchase separately.119,000 words
Family vacations fill me with horror-and for a woman who makes her living as a paranormal investigator, that's saying a lot. Still, I couldn't turn down a month in sunny Spain and the chance of flamenco lessons with Casper, my gorgeous guardian angel-even if it did mean sharing a villa with my mother.But it's true what they say, there's no rest for the wicked. We'd barely unpacked when the maid started having dreams of being tortured on the rack-dreams my intuition tells me are something more than your average terrifying nightmare. After all, we are in the land of the infamous inquisition, and she does have those unexplained marks...So for now my dance partner's going to have to wait for me to get to the bottom of this mystery, and when I do, I plan to send evil packing.21,000 words
I'm a paranormal investigator without a home of my own. So when a wealthy client offers me a lucrative job on a private South Pacific island, I jump at the opportunity.It's not all fun in the sun, though. A dead merman-no, really-with an arrow in his chest has washed up on shore. My investigation reveals a century-old war between the mers and a goblin tribe, who believe the mers stole their treasure. But the real thief was a pirate! He buried the treasure and died before digging it up again.Casper, my guardian angel and sort-of-but-not-really boyfriend, usually helps me out but he's acting all weird and busy. The only person left who can help me find the treasure is the pirate's former girlfriend, who happens to be a forgetful, alcoholic ghost.Oh, and I'm not the only one searching for this treasure. Someone else wants it badly and they're prepared to commit murder to prevent anyone else from getting it...57,000 words
Just another typical week in the life of a paranormal investigator.I had barely arrived in Ireland to investigate a pooka terrorizing the villagers of Dingaleen when I got called to ride the fairy horse myself. When a pooka calls, you answer-and hold on for dear life.Unfortunately, the beast tossed me into a bog. Fortunately, my gorgeous guardian angel fished me out. Just barely.You see, Casper is still weak from tangling with an evil spirit on our last case. So he's not even much help to me in the land o' the green. The powers-that-be are even hinting at retirement...But I won't lose Casper. Not now. Not ever. As luck would have it, I have a chance, albeit a slim one, to save him and get the answers I need to solve the pooka case-if I just take a wee trip through Fairyland. Except angels aren't welcome there, humans can't eat, drink or sleep there, and time is running out.An Allegra Fairweather Mystery56,000 words
My mother thinks my job is crazy. I' m a paranormal investigator; she' s Nancy Reagan crossed with Martha Stewart. She' s always preferred my sister, Lily, who is following in her perfect footsteps. But this time Mom needs my special skills. She believes my stepfather is possessed. I admit he' s not his usual dapper, charming self, but sleepwalking doesn' t sound that weird. Until the sleepwalking spreads through the family and cousin Donna walks right out of her apartment window to her death. Then my sister goes missing and I have to find her and solve the mystery before Lily and her unborn child are harmed.Normally I would have assistance, but my right hand, a hunky angel I' ve nicknamed Casper, has business of his own to take care of-business that might take him out of my life forever. The stakes are too high for me to lose, but I' m not sure I can do it alone... 66,000 words
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.