- Table View
- List View
Most people think there is little or nothing you can do to avoid Alzheimer's. But scientists know this is no longer true. In fact, prominent researchers now say that our best and perhaps only hope of defeating Alzheimer's is to prevent it. After best-selling author Jean Carper discovered that she had the major susceptibility gene for Alzheimer's, she was determined to find all the latest scientific evidence on how to escape it. She discovered 100 surprisingly simple scientifically tested ways to radically cut the odds of Alzheimer's, memory decline, and other forms of dementia. Did you know that vitamin B 12 helps keep your brain from shrinking? Apple juice mimics a common Alzheimer's drug? Surfing the internet strengthens aging brain cells? Ordinary infections and a popular anesthesia may trigger dementia? Meditating spurs the growth of new neurons? Exercise is like Miracle-Gro for your brain? Even a few preventive actions could dramatically change your future by postponing Alzheimer's so long that you eventually outlive it. If you can delay the onset of Alzheimer's for five years, you cut your odds of having it by half. Postpone Alzheimer's for ten years, and you'll most likely never live to see it. 100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's will change the way you look at Alzheimer's and provide exciting new answers from the frontiers of brain research to help keep you and your family free of this heartbreaking disease.
Food -- Your Miracle Medicine is the breakthrough book on food and health for the nineties. This comprehensive guide, based on more than 10,000 scientific studies, reveals how you can use the extraordinary powers of food to prevent and alleviate such common maladies as headaches and hay fever, as well as to ward off major killers, including heart disease and cancer. Jean Carper, the bestselling author of The Food Pharmacy, has now translated the amazing new discoveries about the medical powers of food into practical advice and information that you can use every day to conquer disease, increase your mental energy, and live longer. A carrot a day could slash your risk of stroke by 70 percent. Ginger can stop migraine headaches and nausea. Half an avocado a day can dramatically improve your blood cholesterol. Brazil nut may improve your mood. Brazil nuts may improve your mood. Tea helps prevent stroke, heart disease, and cancer. A food allergy may be the cause of your fatigue.
From Jean Carper, America's Most Trusted Source of Cutting-Edge Nutritional Advice, the Bestselling Guide to the Dramatic Healing Powers of Herbs, Vitamins, and Other Natural RemediesMiracle Cures is the breakthrough book that presents scientific evidence of the effectiveness of natural remedies, culled from the world's leading doctors and scientists, research centers, and major international scientific journals, including the Journal of the American Medical Association and the British Medical Journal, combined with the awe-inspiring first-person medically verified accounts of people who have successfully cured themselves with natural medicines. Jean Carper Reveals the Natural Medicines That Have Been Proven to: Lower Your Cholesterol Open up Your Arteries Regulate Your Heart Relieve Depression Overcome Anxiety Fight Sleep Problems Regenerate Your Liver Restore Your Memory
In Stop Aging Now!, Jean Carper -- winner of the 1995 Excellence in Journalism Award from the American Aging Association (the nation's leading group of scientists investigating the biomedical aspects of aging), nationally syndicated columnist and leading authority on health and nutrition -- documents how antioxidant vitamins, minerals, herbs and food chemicals are the magic youth potions humans have been seeking for centuries. Based on exciting new scientific findings from leading institutions, Stop Aging Now! reveals the stunning truth: Much of what we call aging is not inevitable, but is needless and can be prevented and reversed to a startling degree by supplements and foods. Indeed, aging is often due to unsuspected deficiencies that can be readily corrected, and even people in their sixties, seventies and eighties can turn back the clock and recover their youth. Leading scientists have found that: Vitamins can prevent and reverse memory loss and other signs of aging. Vitamins and minerals can rejuvenate immune functions, restoring youthful resistance to infections and cancer. Antioxidants in foods and supplements can help prevent clogged arteries, heart attacks and general bodily deterioration. Many unfamiliar but readily available food chemicals can prolong life and preserve your vitality.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.