In 1992, Jeff and Kristi Leeland's infant son, Michael, needed a bone marrow transplant. It cost $200,000 they didn't have. That's when Dameon, the most picked-on kid in the junior high where Jeff taught, emptied his bank account and handed Jeff twelve $5 bills to help save Michael's life. Other students rallied behind Dameon's $60 donation of hope--and a community rallied behind them. In less than four weeks, they raised over $227,000 for Michael's life-saving transplant.Sometimes it's the small who are mighty and the young who are wise....Kids will do heroic things when they have heroic things to do. Out of the Leelands' experience came Sparrow Clubs USA, an organization of kids helping kids in medical need. Each child helped by Sparrow Clubs faces a battle for life, and yet each of these sparrows lives with a vibrant courage. Taking you into the communities that became sanctuaries of love for families in need, A Thousand Small Sparrows will revive your hope in the Father heart of a God who cares. This is a book about the power of compassion that can change the world--one sparrow at a time.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.