- Table View
- List View
Whether you're looking to get published or just hoping to hook your reader, first impressions are vital. Compelling opening scenes are the key to catching an agent of editor's attention, and are crucial for keeping your reader engaged.
What's more important to a story: a gripping plot or compelling characters? Literary-minded novelists argue in favor of character-based novels while commercial novelists argue in favor of plot-based stories, but the truth of the matter is this: The best fiction is rich in both. EnterPlot Versus Character. This hands-on guide to creating a well-rounded novel embraces both of these crucial story components. You'll learn to: Create layered characters by considering personality traits, natural attributes, and backgrounds Develop your character's emotional journey and tie it to your plot's inciting incident Construct a three-act story structure that can complement and sustain your character arc Expose character backstory in a manner that accentuates plot points Seamlessly intertwine plot and character to create a compelling page-turner filled with characters to whom readers can't help but relate And much more Filled with helpful examples and friendly instruction,Plot Versus Charactertakes the guesswork out of creating great fiction by giving you the tools you need to inject life into your characters and momentum into your plots.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your front door. " In the age of men, one must face myriad challenges: epic quests, imminent danger, the evil gaze of Sauron . . . okay, so maybe not. But wouldn't life's day-to-day challenges be easier if one were to take a cue from the diminutive hobbit? WithThe Unofficial Hobbit Handbookas your guide, you'll be ready to brave the difficulties, discomforts, and occasional orcs you may encounter. Become acquainted and form fellowships with the peoples of Middle-earth: elves, dwarves, wizards, Ents, and more Learn about the dangerous creatures that lurk in the lands beyond the Shire: orcs, wolves, and dragons Use hobbit tactics of running away, hiding, and disappearing (with or without the use of magical rings) Discover the proper etiquette for the delivery and solving or riddles So put another log on the fire, cut another slice of seed-cake (is it time for elevenses already?) and curl up withThe Unofficial Hobbit Handbook. You'd never consider going on a nasty adventure, but it's always best to be prepared, right?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.