- Table View
- List View
This is a part of a science fiction series featuring dragons who sail the stars
Since John Bandicut saved Earth from collision with a comet in Neptune Crossing and saved Shipworld from the boojum of Strange Attractors, his life has become one confrontation with chaos after another. No sooner has he survived a harrowing escape from Shipworld than he and his eclectic band of aliens find themselves struggling to survive beneath the waves of a distant ocean world. They quickly discover they are not alone. A race of deep-sea humanoid amphibians, the Neri, are in trouble of their own. Long under attack by beings from the surface, they now face an even greater peril from the seafloor depths, a powerful force known as the Maw of the Abyss. If Bandicut cannot solve the riddle of the Maw, the Neri's beleaguered world will die. And Bandicut and his friends will die with it.
When survey pilot John Bandicut falls into a cavern on Triton, his life changed forever. . . and for an alien quarx, one hundred million years of solitude suddenly comes to an end. The quarx, part of an eons-old interstellar civilization that uses advanced chaos theory to predict catastrophic events, cannot by itself prevent the cometary collision that threatens to devastate the Earth. John Bandicut must help this strange disembodied alien, knowing that humanity's very existence rides on the result. He has to break all the rules and sacrifice everything he has ever known or loved to prevent a cataclysm that neither he nor any human can possibly detect. Hurling across our solar system at incredible speed in a stolen ship, Bandicut can only hope that his desperate gamble will save the Earth. Even if he doesn't live to see it again.
Panglor Balef: Discredited as a space pilot, he is marked for death by a treacherous space trader who sends him on a mission of revenge. He doesn't deserve such a fate. Panglor is a good pilot, and never wanted to be part of the nefarious plot that has trapped him. But it's toolate for regrets. For he, along with an intriguing female stowaway, has flown his ship through a window in space that leads to a world of impossible terrors, a world that cannot exist, cannot be real...and from which they can never return. There's only one way out.. .and that's to escape into sheer madness. The stunning prequel that launches Jeffrey A. Carver's famed Star Rigger Universe! Here's More details GRAKOFF & GARIKOFF One's an extortionist, the other slightly defective. They're brothers, sort of, and they run a fly-by-night interstellar trading company. They need pilots willing to risk their lives taking ships through foreshortening fieldsthe only way to travel faster than light; pilots who're not picky about who they work for. Panglor Balef, pilot and certifiable paranoiac, is stuck working for Grakoff-Garikoff, Shippers and Traders Inc., Veti. Aside from a little trouble with a stowaway, a falsified flight plan, and the bombs that his bosses rigged to guarantee his obedience ... he has hardly any reason to be paranoid! But even paranoiacs can have enemies, and Panglor is in weirder company than usual ... heading for a planet that doesn't exist! To survive this adventure, he might just have to reinvent faster-than-light travel. Either that or go crazy. It promises to be a very strange trip. "Jeffrey Carver imagines wonders and allows us to share his vision."
The war was started by a computer and fought by robots, but now human beings were dying, and only a few people even knew there was a war at all!
For John Bandicut, Earth is but a memory. Stranded at the edge of the galaxy in a structure populated with beings from a thousand worlds, Bandicut finds unexpected friends--only to be caught up in a cascade of forces that threaten the Shipworld itself. Confronting an entity known as the boojum, Bandicut discovers greater peril than ever in his journey into the unknown. Volume 2 of The Chaos Chronicles, from the Nebula-nominated author of Eternity's End.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.