- Table View
- List View
Is red wine good for you? And if so, why? How much? And what are the actual benefits? This addition to the SpringerBriefs in Cell Biology series thoroughly but succinctly answers these questions. It covers the biochemistry, health benefits and therapeutic potential of wine grapes. It begins with an overview of phytoalexin production in Vitis vinifera (Common Grape Vine), detailing the relationship of resveratrol to analogues such as pterostilbene, piceid and the viniferins (resveratrol oligomers). The discussion then turns to the hundreds of reports linking resveratrol and related grape vine polyphenols to various beneficial health effects especially cardio- and cerebro- vascular, metabolic, anti-inflammatory and more. Also addressed are the numerous intracellular mechanisms that have been shown to mediate the effects of these compounds in mammalian cells and tissues. Finally, the authors discuss aspects of polyphenol bioavailability and how this will influence choices taken for delivering these compounds as nutritional supplements. A brief chapter containing general conclusions and prospectus rounds out the information.
Since the publication of the first edition, the number of unique heritable mtDNA mutations recognized as being associated with bioenergetic dysfunction, cell death and disease has grown. Likewise, our understanding of the basic biology of somatic mtDNA mutations continues to improve. In Mitochondrial DNA: Methods and Protocols, Second Edition, specialists from eight countries share their expertise, providing detailed protocols for studying many aspects of mtDNA. The volume is divided into three sections, which cover the transduction of information from mtDNA to functionally active respiratory complexes, mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS) production as well as mtDNA damage and its repair, and the identification and quantification of heteroplasmic mtDNA mutations. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular BiologyTM series format, chapters include introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and notes sections, highlighting tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls. Comprehensive and authoritative, Mitrochondrial DNA: Methods and Protocols, Second Edition promises to aid researchers in further expanding our knowledge of this vital area of cell biology.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.