- Table View
- List View
In Mind Body Zen, long-time Zen student, world-renowned Rolfer, and former philosophy professor Jeffrey Maitland combines his expertise across the mind-body-zen spectrum to help bridge the East-West gap in spiritual practice.Tackling the prevailing misconception that Zen is a philosophy, Maitland provides an in-depth explanation of why Zen is an eminently practical, grounded discipline. He emphasizes the power of simple, direct experience that lies at the heart of Zen. Maitland's training in philosophy as well as bodywork distinguishes Mind Body Zen from many other books on the market. Drawing on his Rolfing expertise and years of applied meditation practice, he also offers techniques for healers across many systems and disciplines to more effectively work with their clients. Threaded throughout these discussions are the insights of Joshu Sasaki Roshi, founder of Mt. Baldy Zen Center, best known by some as Leonard Cohen's teacher, still actively teaching at age 102 but whose work has rarely been published. Mind Body Zen will appeal to the growing number of Western Buddhists and spiritual seekers interested in Zen or meditation. Somatic therapists, psychotherapists, and healers of every persuasion will also find the connection between Zen and healing to be of great interest.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Written by an expert on alternative bodywork, this book presents techniques for manipulating the soft tissues of the back in a safe, simple manner. The method avoids the high velocity, low amplitude thrusting techniques employed by chiropractors. Instead, it utilizes the intuitive sense of somatic bodyworkers combined with the proven theory and technique of Rolfing to provide safe and effective treatment. Maitland shows how to elegantly release joint fixations in the spine, sacrum, pelvis, and ribcage by using subtle soft tissue techniques, rather than the thrusting techniques that "pop" the joints. This gentler kind of individualized Rolfing work is thoroughly described within an explanation of biomechanics, aided by drawings and photographs which depict techniques and anatomy.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.