- Table View
- List View
In 2012 Jeremy Vine clocks up a quarter of a century at the BBC. In his time, he's dodged bullets at the frontline, wrestled with the swing-o-meter and interrogated Prime Ministers. But it wasn't always like that. In It's All News to Me, Jeremy takes a wry look back over his career and what those 25 years have taught him - about the BBC, the world and perhaps even himself. He takes us from the world of regional newspapers and manual typewriters through a BBC traineeship and beyond as he recounts the story of his big break on the Today programme - being shot at by a sniper in Croatia - and of equally scary moments sparring with the likes of Alastair Campbell and Peter Mandelson during the Blair years. He reflects on the life-changing experience of his time as BBC Africa correspondent at the turn of the millennium; and his subsequent return to the UK to present Newsnight - when the press helpfully dubbed him Paxman's "mini-me". He also explains what it's like to present Radio 2's lunchtime show and build a relationship with 6million listeners - people who, as he puts it "have better stories than we do. " Written in Jeremy's unmistakably lively and self-deprecating voice, It's All News to Me paints a vivid picture of what it's like to be trapped inside the BBC for 25 years and the frustrations, excitements - and occasionally crazy moments - that it brings. But more than that, Jeremy examines our obsession with news, tries to pin down just exactly how and why it happens, and celebrates the triumph of real life stories over the journalist's desire to shape them.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.