All Roads Lead to Calvary is a 1919 novel by the British writer Jerome K. Jerome. It was one of the last works written by Jerome, better known for his Three Men in a Boat, and shows the influence of the First World War on him. <P> <P> It is a Bildungsroman in which a Cambridge University educated woman Joan Allway becomes a journalist and then a wartime ambulance driver. She encounters various different people, gaining new experiences and confronting many of the moral issues of the day.
While it is beyond doubt that Jerome K. Jerome is most well known for his comic masterpiece Three Men in a Boat, the range of his other literary achievements is staggering. Journalist, playwright and author, a wealth of his writing has remained just beyond the public gaze. Diary of a Pilgrimage is one such work. The pilgrimage of the title is a journey to see the famous Passion Play at Oberammergau, which has been performed every ten years since 1634, the middle of the Thirty Years War. Diary is a typically witty account of this journey, part travelogue and part social commentary. It is also a work which has long deserved its place in the sun, outside of the benevolent shade of Jerome's more famous writing.
This is a sensible book. I want you to understand that. This is a book to improve your mind. In this book I tell you all about Germany--at all events, all I know about Germany--and the Ober-Ammergau Passion Play. I also tell you about other things. I do not tell you all I know about all these other things, because I do not want to swamp you with knowledge. I wish to lead you gradually. When you have learnt this book, you can come again, and I will tell you some more.
Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow is a collection of humorous essays by Jerome K. Jerome. It was the author's second published book and it helped establish him as a leading English humorist.
General Books publication date: 2009 Original publication date: 1916 Original Publisher: Cassell and Co. ltd. Subjects: Brittany (France) Fiction / Classics Fiction / Fantasy / General Fiction / Fantasy / Epic Fiction / Humorous Fiction / Literary Notes: This is an OCR reprint of the original rare book. There may be typos or missing text and there are no illustrations. When you buy the General Books edition of this book you get free trial access to Million-Books. com where you can select from more than a million books for free. You can also preview the book there.
Originally intended as a serious travel guide, then streamlined into an amusing account of a farcical boating excursion on the Thames river, Three Men in a Boat is Jerome K. Jerome's controversially "vulgar" take on English history and recreation. A mix of social satire and Victorian wit, this book of ramblings broaches a variety of unlikely subjects, including leisure, nostalgia, and friendship. Despite telling a story where everything goes wrong, this funny travelogue offers a vivid portrait of Victorian England the reader will not soon forget.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.