- Table View
- List View
INSPIRING STORIES OF FOURTEEN VISIONARIES WHO MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD--AND A BOLD CALL TO ACTION TO MOTIVATE THE NEXT GENERATION OF LEADERS There's Amy Lehman, a gutsy single mother who is building a floating health clinic on Lake Tanganyika; Jimmie Briggs, a journalist campaigning to stop violence against girls and women; and Jacob Lief, a young American who founded a school for street children in South Africa. You will discover how Josh Nesbit, Isaac Holeman, and Nadim Mahmud are connecting rural patients to hospitals using cellphone technology, how Susana De Anda is bringing fresh water to the migrant workers in California's San Joaquin Valley, and how Andeisha Farid is establishing, in the face of war, orphanages for Afghanistan's child victims of war and poverty. These are just some of the stories that will inspire you. Visionaries don't wait for others to take action. They step out. They are brave. They walk the walk. And they connect with others in deep and real ways. Jill Iscol's message is that everyone has the talent and compassion to make the world a better place. Hearts on Fire is a call to action for all of us.Praise for Hearts on Fire "Attention must be paid to these lives and these stories. In Jill Iscol's capable hands, their stories offer us hope--just when we need it."--Brian Williams, NBC News "What inspiring stories of people who have made meaningful lives through service and sacrifice--one person at a time. These are our world leaders!"--Richard Gere "Hearts on Fire is one of the most inspiring books I've read."--Tina Brown, editor-in-chief, The Daily Beast and Newsweek "Clear and compelling . . . I know you will be inspired by the visionaries in Hearts on Fire."--President Bill Clinton "A powerful call to action for each of us to marry passion with purpose and act boldly in the quest for a more just and sustainable world."--Cheryl Dorsey, president of Echoing Green "Powerful and eloquent, Hearts on Fire is a passionate and infectious invitation to get involved and help make the world a better place."--Henry Louis Gates Jr., Alphonse Fletcher University Professor at Harvard University "A beautifully appointed treasure box filled with inspiration and possibility. You cannot read this book without wanting to do more."--Jacqueline Novogratz, founder and CEO of Acumen Fund "A desperately needed antidote for those discouraged by the dysfunctional politics that have left so many on our planet vulnerable and voiceless."--Billy Shore, founder and executive director of Share Our Strength "Hearts on Fire reminds us that we need to dream again, inspire again, and act again."--Wes Moore, New York Times bestselling author of The Other Wes Moore "Vivid, down-to-earth, and well-told, Hearts on Fire will comfort and inspire anybody trying to do a little bit to make this world a more connected and compassionate place."--Ethan Nichtern, founder of The InterDependence Project, and author of One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.