A collection of essays on the topic of the law and legal affairs, selected in order to give readers samples of the ways in which the subject of law relates to the study of ourselves and our times. Those included in this publication are just a sample of the books reviewed over the last year and a half - reviews that cover a variety of topics, some very current, some historical and some dealing with debates spanning centuries.A review of Judge Wilkinson's Cosmic Constitutional Theory surveys the leading theories of the Constitution and how to interpret it. Two equally brilliant and contrasting views on the meaning of our nation's founding document are provided through interviews with Justice Antonin Scalia and Yale Law Professor Akhil Reed Amar. Between these three pieces, the reader will find a sharp debate as to whether a literal reading or a living interpretation of the document should govern our age.Also included is a thoughtful treatment of the macroeconomic disconnect between the numbers of new lawyers churned out by our educational system and the market for these new entrants. To see how far we've come since the first women sought admission to the bar, read a review of Jill Norgren's Rebels at the Bar: The Fascinating, Forgotten Stories of America's First Women Lawyers.The articles featured in this publication, by the breadth of the issues they survey, show rather that the law is a rich bed of moral inquiry, an all too true reflection of our times and ourselves.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.