Kevin Morrell is a forty-three-year-old husband and father who runs a successful design and marketing firm that's crashed into the suffering economy. Attempting to navigate the busyness of the mall at Christmas, Kevin is humbled when he stumbles across the Salvation Army's Angel Tree Project. His wife insists that he take a paper ornament. The name on the ornament is Thomas Brandt, a fifteen-year-old still reeling from the implosion of his family--from years of verbal abuse from an alcoholic father to a mother who finally left him behind, only to find herself and her children penniless and struggling. The only thing has allowed Lynn to survive is her faith. Thomas shares that faith, but he also wonders why God has seemingly abandoned them. This is the story about a man and a boy one December. A man whose life is changed by a simple expression of kindness, and a boy who takes that expression of kindness and shows the true meaning of Christmas.ness the day after Thanksgiving. And a boy who takes that expression of kindness and shows the true meaning of Christmas.
Imagineyourself a thirteen-year-old hundreds of miles away from home, in a strangecity, and your mom leaves you at a bus station parking lot and drives off intothe night with her lover.That'sthe real life story of country music star Jimmy Wayne. It's a miracle thatJimmy survived being hungry and homeless, bouncing in and out of the fostercare system, and sleeping in the streets. But he didn't just overcome greatadversity in his life; he now uses his country music platform to help childreneverywhere, especially teenagers in foster care who are about to age out of thesystem.Walk to Beautiful is the powerfullyemotive account of Jimmy's horrendous childhood and the love shown him byRussell and Bea Costner, the elderly couple who gave him a stable home and providedthe chance to complete his education. Jimmy says of Bea, "She changed everycell in my body."Italso chronicles Jimmy's rise to fame in the music industry and his Meet MeHalfway campaign: his walk halfway across America, 1,700 miles from Nashvilleto Phoenix, to raise awareness for foster kids.JoinJimmy on his walk to beautiful and see how one person really can make a difference.ENDORSEMENTS"If your story could use a better chapter, takeinspiration from Jimmy's." --Max Lucado, NewYork Times Best-Selling Author"It reads like a movie to me, and if so, I'll be thefirst one in a seat to see it." --Dolly Parton"Walkto Beautiful will open your eyes to thehurting people around you." --Frank Harrison, Chairman and CEO, Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated; Chairman and Cofounder, With Open Eyes
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.