- Table View
- List View
Ghost Gum Valley is the second book from Australian author Johanna Nicholls. This sweeping saga is set in the early days of the Colony of New South Wales and follows the adventures of Isabel de Rolland, an English aristocrat descended from the Plantagenets, as she is sent out to the penal colony to marry Marmaduke Gamble, in a deal organised by their elders. The debts of Isabel's family are paid in exchange for the respectability that her lineage gives the rich ex- convict Gamble family. From the inauspicious beginnings of their arranged marriage, Isabel and Marmaduke develop a grudging friendship that looks to bloom into something more. But the secrets of the past are destined to haunt them and the madness and darkness of their families threaten to overwhelm them. This wonderful new story has something for everyone; a bygone era brought to life, the importance of being free of the past to embrace the future and above all a wonderful love story between two of fiction's most delightful characters.
Jake Andersen is a proud Currency lad with a swagger in his step and a joke for his mates, until he discovers the wife he is besotted with has left him, and taken their young daughter with her. A prize fighter, Jake decides to take matters into his own hands and find his wife, and the mongrel she ran off with. Fuelled by revenge he starts a long search across the colony and vows to never trust 'good women' again. Few people seem to think a gypsy girl like Keziah Stanley could ever be a 'good woman'. Separated by the law from her beloved gypsy husband, Keziah decides to travel to Australia to find the love of her life. With her tarot cards and strong beliefs, Keziah boasts she can read anybody's future, but her own life is proving harder to read, let alone manage. Daniel Browne already knows what his future will be: the life of a great artist. And he is determined to follow his dream; no matter what. When this volatile trio is thrown together in Australia, they form an extraordinary, unexpected alliance that will challenge the establishment. Love, hate, survival and revenge: all will discover the truth.
Vianna Francis, known in the colony as 'The Sydney Venus', is a notorious young mistress in keeping to a former gentleman convict, who uses her to entice wealthy men to his gaming tables. A woman of mystery, Vianna is a magnet for scandal. Was she the mistress of a Royal duke? A lady's maid who learned the tricks of the world's oldest profession when in service to a Parisian courtesan? Or the widow of a young man executed on the gallows? Men of high rank are determined to possess this passionate, mercenary beauty. The L'Estrange half-brothers were born only months apart. One brother is an idealistic dreamer, the other a volatile adventurer. And the rivals have two things in common - a fatal attraction to get-rich schemes that run afoul of the law -- and their obsession with Vianna.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.