- Table View
- List View
A postman is brutally murdered shortly before Christmas. Inspector West must uncover a sinister plot in the post that involves stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars. This book is published in England under the title of PARCELS FOR INSPECTOR WEST.
[from the back cover] "In Scotland's Western Highlands the rain began slowly but soon was coming down in torrents. Bob Woburn was curious because the cloud seemed to rise from the earth, yet the sky above was clear. Arriving at the nearest village by motor cycle he was horrified to find the whole village under water and the surrounding hills crumbling into the flood. Once again it is over to Dr Palfrey and Z5."
Jealousy, compassion, longing, and a touch of madness combine to make the perfect breeding ground for murder. Are things as obvious as they seem? A prominent man living in England has married only to discover that his wife is mentally disturbed and knew of it before their marriage. She has chosen to move to a special nursing home where she appears to be content while her husband lives alone in misery and confusion. After years of lonely fears and doubts while trying to cover up her madness in public, he discovers his love and passion for his secretary, a woman who has promised herself that no man will ever love or touch her again. This is the backdrop for this suspenseful mystery.
"JUST ROUND TO THE LEFT, SIR." Roger turned left. There was the yard, with some outhouses, crooked with lichen-the clock turned back by hundreds of years. He saw no one. That was the moment when he first began to wonder whether he had walked into a trap, and swung round. . . . The pleasant-looking young man was just in front of him, right arm raised, a long iron bar in it . . .
John Creasey, a prolific English writer, who published in a 40-year career 562 full-length books under 28 pseudonyms. Sport for the Baron, set mostly in Australia, a 'crime book without a crime', is his favorite.
When the Toff's Aunt Mattie bought a shortcut to death from her friendly neighborhood crook, Rollison found himself mixed in with retail profiteering -- and wholesale murder.
The Toff is on a 2-week furlough from the war. He goes back to the East Side of London to see the damage.
The Game of Blackmail: Take two beautiful girls who look enough alike to pass for twin sisters; add one very large fortune about to be inherited in a ne'er-do-well; stir in a generous amount of uncontrolled greed, and you have the recipe for murder. And while Richard Rollison - the Toff to the police and the underworlds of a dozen countries - was in the mood for a weekend of games and fun, he was not prepared to be a stand-in for a murder victim!
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.