- Table View
- List View
For 50 years the debate over high-protein, low-fat, and high-carbohydrate diets has confused the American people. Each diet is backed by convincing scientific research indicating that it is the best and only way to lose weight. But how can they all be right? The answer is astonishingly simple. Each one is right, but for only four months of the year! The secret to making these diets work together for a lifetime is to use each one in the appropriate season as designed by nature: low fat in the spring, high carbohydrates in the summer, and high protein (and fat) in the winter. The beauty of fitness and diet expert John Douillard's system is that now, for the first time, the body's cravings actually support both a weight-loss diet and a way-of-life diet. Given the opportunity provided byThe 3-Season Diet, our desires readily align with foods that nature has provided for thousands of years at the time when they are naturally harvested. In winter we crave soups, nuts, warm grains, and other high-fat and protein foods such as fish and meat. In spring we want salads, berries, and leafy greens, a naturally low-fat diet. And in summer, when long days and outdoor activities require high energy, we desire fruits, vegetables, starches, and other high-carbohydrate foods. John Douillard has derived his revolutionary 3-season diet from a 5,000-year-old traditional medical system, adjusting it to fit our modern lifestyles. Information on body types, fat-burning exercises, stress-reduction and weight-balancing techniques, recipes, and food alternatives all support the reader in makingThe 3-Season Dietan easily sustainable way of life that lets you look and feel better than you've ever imagined.
Five thousand years old, Ayurvedic massage has been shown to still the mind and body by lowering metabolic rates and inspiring feelings of peace and calm. Often administered as a part of a three-, five-, or seven-day program, these treatments are an integral part of deep cleansing, rejuvenation, and life-extension Ayurvedic programs called panchakarma or kya kalpa. This book by a noted practitioner features more than 15 of these treatments, each described in step-by-step detail and some synchronized with two therapists for up to two hours in length. It provides the reader with all the tools necessary to begin Ayurvedic treatments as a part of a spa menu or massage therapy program.
According to Ayurveda, an ancient Hindu science, health is a state of balance among the body, mind, senses and soul. This book shows specific ways to promote children's health and well-being using Ayurvedic principles. Douillard explains how to identify the signs of imminent illness, how to make the home chemical and allergen free, and how to stock a "Lazy Susan" of useful natural medicines. Appendices provide shopping lists and a directory of national health providers. Perfect Health for Kids is an accessible, illustrated guide that provides highly effective health maintenance for children.
As yoga gains popularity across the U.S., many people are becoming interested in its traditional Vedic roots. While Buddhist meditation is well represented on bookshelves, there has been little Vedantic philosophy written in lay terms until now. Author David Frawley guides readers through the challenges of cultivating awareness, calming the mind, and practicing meditation according to Vedanta and Hinduism. He examines how cultural knowledge systems in the West lead individuals to disillusionment, and speaks about how meditation can aid in understanding the true nature of one's thoughts, emotions, and perceptions. Frawley explores meditation support practices such as yoga, mantras, kundalini, and pranayama, as well as the role of gurus, and concludes with a short, more technical essay on self-inquiry.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.