- Table View
- List View
Grounded in John Langan's Four Bases - unity, coherence, sentence skills, and support - College Writing Skills with Readings employs a unique personalized learning plan to address student deficits in grammar and mechanics and to free instructional time for activities emphasizing writing process and critical thinking. From mastering the traditional five-paragraph essay and its variations to learning about the finer points of grammar and punctuation, College Writing Skills with Readings empowers students to think more deeply about audience and purpose as they write for college and career. This new ninth edition provides a greater balance focus on personal, academic, and workplace writing.
John Langan's College Writing Skills with Readings, Seventh Edition, focuses on the essay using Langan's renowned clear writing style, as well as his wide range of writing assignments and activities that reinforce the four bases of effective writing: unity, support, coherence, and sentence skills. For the new seventh edition, John Langan has added a variety of fresh elements to his proven approach.
This text offers students a practical guide to becoming better writers. From mastering the traditional five-paragraph essay and its variations to learning about the finer points of grammar and punctuation, the book empowers students to take control of their writing and put it to work for them.
The ninth edition of English Skills features John Langan's trademark crystal-clear explanations, along with his range of motivating activities and writing assignments that reinforce the four bases of effective writing: unity, support, coherence, and sentence skills.
English Skills with Readings will help students learn and apply the basic principles of effective composition. It will also help them master essential reading skills. It is a nuts-and-bolts book based on a number of assumptions or beliefs about the writing process.
Clear, step-by-step writing instruction, ample annotated student essays, and extensive practice opportunities for writing have made The Longman Writer one of the most successful methods-of-development guides for college writing. Created by the authors of the best-selling Longman Reader, the text draws on decades of teaching experience to integrate the best of the "product" and "process" approaches to writing. Its particular strengths include an emphasis on the reading-writing connection, a focus on invention and revision, attention to the fact that patterns blend in actual writing, and an abundance of class-tested activities and assignments--more than 350 in all.
There is no escape for Ben McKee. For weeks, he's covered the bruises on his body. He's even lied to his teachers and new friends at Bluford High School. But the trouble in Ben's house isn't going away. And if he doesn't act soon, it could swallow him and his mother forever.
A guidebook to the essential skills necessary for students to make the transition from high school to college.
This book is suitable for the core or advanced developmental reading course offered at most colleges. The key features include: Focus on the basics, Frequent practice and feedback, High interest level, Ease of use, Integration of skills, Online exercises, Thinking activities, Supplementary materials e.t.c.
The purpose of Ten Steps to Advancing College Reading Skills, Fifth Edition, is to develop effective reading and clear thinking.
We all know that many students entering college today do not have the reading skills needed to do effective work in their courses. A related problem, apparent even in class discussions, is that students often lack the skills required to think in a clear and logical way. The purpose of Ten Steps to Building College Reading Skills is to develop effective reading and clear thinking.
This book helps develop effective reading and clear thinking. Part One presents a sequence of ten reading skills that are widely recognized as essential for basic and advanced comprehension.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.