- Table View
- List View
First-year programs and interventions have become critical launching pads for student success and retention in higher education. However, these programs often flounder not because of what they are trying to do, but because of the ways in which they are implemented. Copublished with the National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition, this is a comprehensive, practical, how-to guide to developing new first-year programs and enhancing existing programs. It identifies and discusses the multiple elements that contribute to sustained student success and to programs that have the capacity to continue to meet student needs and make efficient use of resources. Discussion is included on critical partnerships, organizational structures, personnel, and fiscal issues as they relate to the design, delivery, and assessment of effective interventions.
This book was created to provide an accessible book that would be useful to all students, whatever their backgrounds or their college goals. Students are most likely to succeed if they follow the twelve steps covered in this text.
This practical guide is considered the standard for training the thousands of college students who serve as leaders, tutors, counselors, and advisors for their peers. Beginning with a fundamental discussion of student growth and development and current research on the topic, the authors go on to provide learning objectives and exercises to help prepare peer educators for such tasks as tutoring, student orientation, residence hall advising, crisis intervention, coaching, and more.
Offering guidance to students navigating their way through the challenges presented by college life, this handbook offers strategies for intellectual, physical, and emotional health and success, including thinking critically, managing time, developing values, appreciating diversity, managing stress, and handling money, among others. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Written by the leading authorities on the first-year seminar and grounded in research, Your College Experience by John Gardner and Betsy Barefoot offers today's diverse students the practical help they need to make the transition to college and get the most out of their time there. Goal setting has always been central to this text, and the Tenth Edition has been revised with added coverage and activities to strengthen this material throughout. In addition, a new focus on self-assessment of strengths will help students see where they are already succeeding so that they get off to a great start and stay in college. A full package of instructional support materials -- including an Instructor's Annotated Edition, Instructor's Manual, PowerPoint slides, videos, and a Test Bank -- provides new and experienced instructors all the tools they will need to engage students in this course and increase student retention.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.