- Table View
- List View
McKay (History, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) offers a history of western civilization from Mesopotamia to the present, with a focus on social history and chapters on Greece, Rome, religious wars, political revolutions, revolutions in energy and industry, expansion, urbanism, nationalism, dictatorship and the Second World War, and the Cold War, among other topics. The new edition is updated with recent scholarship, primary sources, photo essays, information on women and gender, and more focus on ethnicity such as with the section on Islamic regions.
The book examines the lives of both historical figures and ordinary people, using an engaging, lively writing style to capture and maintain student interest and paying careful attention to political and cultural phenomena, providing a balanced account of Western history as a whole.
A History of World Societies introduces students to the global past through social history and the stories and voices of the people who lived it.
Description of societies around the world, from early civilization to 1715.
The social history focus that has been the core element of this book since its first edition continues. The author incorporates more discussion of groups and regions that are frequently shortchanged in the general histories of Europe and Western Civilization. This expanded scope reflects the renewed awareness within the profession of Europe's enormous historical diversity, as well as the efforts of contemporary Europeans to understand the ambivalent and contested meanings of their national, regional, ethnic, and pan-European identities.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.