Find out what it takes to be a firefighter with character... Applicants for paid fire-fighting jobs must usually meet several requirements: *A written exam; *Tests of strength, physical stamina, coordination, and agility; and *A medical examination that includes drug screening. Training programs can help you prepare for this job--but to be a good firefighter you'll need more than any program can offer. Firefighters need character qualities like courage to face dangerous situations... Self-discipline to work hard even when they're tired... A sense of justice to protect all members of society equally... And a sense of citizenship to responsibly serve society with compassion and integrity. Do you have what it takes to do the job? Read Firefighter and decide.
As a manager, you're sandwiched between the pressure of senior executives and the demands of your own staff members. The last thing you need is an unruly employee whose chronic "negaholic" attitude upsets your office applecart and affects the morale of your entire staff. Managing Difficult People gives you the tools you need to cope with all kinds of difficult employees. From sneaky slackers to resident office tormentors, this handy guide cuts to the chase, helping you identify and deal with specific personality types such as: # The Bully # The Complainer or Whiner # The Procrastinator # The Know-It-All # The Silent Type # The Social Butterfly # The "No People Skills" Person # The Rookie # The Overly Sensitive Person # The Manipulator It's time to take charge of all the difficult situations that come your way. Follow these positive, proactive guidelines for targeting telltale behaviors, and put an end to office strife once and for all!
Trader Marco Polo was one of the first Europeans to travel to China, staying away from his homeland in Italy for 24 years before returning. After he came back to Italy, Marco wrote of his travels and adventures in East Asia in his book Il Milione, sharing his tales with other Europeans. Polo changed the way Europeans saw the world by opening their eyes to the wonderful culture and people of China. Learn the story of one of the world's most famous explorers and traders in Marco Polo: 13th-Century Italian Trader.
Robert F. Scott led two British Navy missions to explore Antarctica, each one lasting several years. On his second trip to the Antarctic, Scott and his team made it to the South Pole, but they found a group from Norway had beaten them to it. Though Scott and his team died in the cold on the way back from the South Pole, the British Navy officer and explorer is remembered today for his brave and curious spirit. Learn the story of one of Britain's most famous explorers in Robert F. Scott: British Explorer of the South Pole.
Find out what it takes to be a veterinarian with character... Veterinarians need many skills, including: *The ability to analyze problems; *Knowledge of new developments and techniques in veterinarian medicine; *The confidence to handle animals who are sick or injured; and *Communication skills for speaking with animal owners and other professionals. Veterinarians don't only work with animals; they also work with people. That's why these professionals need the core qualities of good character-- Integrity... Compassion... Courage... Responsibility... A sense of fairness... Self-discipline... And citizenship. A career in veterinary medicine can be both rewarding and exciting. Veterinarian will tell you more.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.