- Table View
- List View
The Age of Steam, Part One, deals with engine-driven warships from the time of their first appearance until the collapse of the movement for naval disarmament in 1936. The book takes up the steam- driven naval activities of the Crimean. American Civil, Austro-Prussian, Sino Japanese, Spanish-American, Russo-Japanese, and First World Wars, interspersed with a variety of lesser conflicts involving significant naval activity. Concurrent with the account of naval actions is a treatment of the development of steam-driven warships from the appearance of U.S.S. Demologos in 1815 through the age of the ironclads to the time of the superdreadnoughts during and after World War I. Meaning is added to the accounts of the naval actions by a brief, running historical background to place each war, each action, and each development in its proper setting in history. The Age of Steam, Part One, is the third volume of the four-book series WAR AT SEA. The first book, The Ancient Fleets, dealt with naval warfare "under oars" from 2600 B.C. to 1597 A.D. Book Two, The Age of Sails, presented the story of conflict under sail from 1213 to 1853 A.D. The fourth book, The Age of Steam, Part Two, will carry the story from 1936 A.D. through World War II to the present day.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.