- Table View
- List View
The Age of Steam, Part One, deals with engine-driven warships from the time of their first appearance until the collapse of the movement for naval disarmament in 1936. The book takes up the steam- driven naval activities of the Crimean. American Civil, Austro-Prussian, Sino Japanese, Spanish-American, Russo-Japanese, and First World Wars, interspersed with a variety of lesser conflicts involving significant naval activity. Concurrent with the account of naval actions is a treatment of the development of steam-driven warships from the appearance of U.S.S. Demologos in 1815 through the age of the ironclads to the time of the superdreadnoughts during and after World War I. Meaning is added to the accounts of the naval actions by a brief, running historical background to place each war, each action, and each development in its proper setting in history. The Age of Steam, Part One, is the third volume of the four-book series WAR AT SEA. The first book, The Ancient Fleets, dealt with naval warfare "under oars" from 2600 B.C. to 1597 A.D. Book Two, The Age of Sails, presented the story of conflict under sail from 1213 to 1853 A.D. The fourth book, The Age of Steam, Part Two, will carry the story from 1936 A.D. through World War II to the present day.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.