- Table View
- List View
(From the book jacket) IN BROKEN GOVERNMENT JOHN DEAN EXAMINES ONE OF THE MOST CRITICAL QUESTIONS FACING AMERICANS TODAY: How can our democracy function when the key institutions of government-the legislative, executive, and judicial branches-no longer operate as contemplated by the Constitution because of politics? This concluding volume of a trilogy that began with the national bestsellers Worse Than Watergate and Conservatives Without Conscience is a revelatory investigation of the effects of three decades of Republican rule-three decades in which honored political processes established by the rules, traditions, laws, and constitutional mandates of the federal system have been broken or simply ignored. Congress has become a body incapable of meaningful deliberation or presidential oversight; the president has amassed ever greater power, unhindered by any checks and balances; and the independence and impartiality of the federal judiciary have been corrupted by the ascendance of judges and justices with a radical conservative political philosophy. The Republican agenda has proven itself to be an agenda of special interests rather than of the public interest, the scheme of a party whose primary aim is to maintain its power, whatever the cost. Dean carefully traces the development of these fundamental failures of the political system, from Nixon's imperial presidency through Reagan's popular disparagement of government to the doctrines that have reached their fullest expression in the administration of George W. Bush, a presidency that growing numbers of scholars have already begun to assess as one of the worst-if not the worst-in the nation's history.
Over the past 2 decades, American electoral politics has been transformed by the rise of the conservative movement, one that is highly organized, and ambitious in its goals for the government and the culture. The result has been not only a radical shift in the program and politics of the Republican Party, but a decisive change in the nature of political discourse, which has become disturbingly confrontational, vicious and hypocritical. Demagoguery is increasingly supplanting responsible dialogue, self-righteousness is replacing conscientiousness, and its victim is democracy. How and why has this happened?
Personal analysis from a participant.
The explosive, never-before-revealed story of how William Rehnquist became a Supreme Court Justice, told by the man responsible for his candidacy.
Warren G. Harding may be best known as America's worst president. Scandals plagued him: the Teapot Dome affair, corruption in the Veterans Bureau and the Justice Department, and the posthumous revelation of an extramarital affair.
As the former counsel to President Nixon, Dean was in a position to witness the worst excesses of his administration, widely seen by Americans as having engaged in widespread abuse of power and even criminal activity. In his judgment however, the George W. Bush administration's manipulation of intelligence to justify the invasion of Iraq is simply the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the same sort of secretive and undemocratic actions that justify calling the actions of the Bush-Cheney presidency worse than Watergate, the scandal that brought down Nixon. Annotation ©2005 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.